+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for CEC as well as PNP

hohoho

Feb 20, 2011
I just realized that PNP applicants should to be settle permanetly in nominated providence, however I would not promise that I am able to stay in my providence forever, so I am thinking of appling for CEC in case I would like to move to another providence in the future. In my case I have already been nominated by saskachewan and applied for PR in Buffalo last September. The reason I applied for PNP at that time was that I could save money for IELTS because I had to travel to Calgary to write the English test. It approximately saved $625 of IELTS/Travel/Accomadation/No pay for one day by applying for PNP instead of CEC. But now I felt that I made a mistake. Does anybody have same issue ? and applied for CEC after applying for PNP. If I apply for CEC, I may have to go back to own country to wait for the application process.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Are you saying you didn't sign this form?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/imm0008_4e.pdf

"Forever" is a bit much, but can't see what the expectation is for Saskatchewan (I think it's at least one year fo Quebec, for example). But if you plan to get citizenship, you should probably plan to stay there at least that long...

But if that is too long, then you're right, you made a mistake. Even if your application is approved, you could lose your PR status if it is determined that you had no intention of settling in Saskatchewan.

You may also apply under CEC, and it is not a problem (from the perspective of processing your application), if you leave Canada.

hohoho

Feb 20, 2011
Thanks for the respose, jes_ON

I signed the form. I asked SINP how long I need to stay in SK after receiving PR, and they expect me to stay here permanetly because SINP is run by Saskatchewan tax payers.

What if I receive PR through SINP and at that time my CEC application is in process ? I need to cancel PR from SINP and wait PR from CEC. Oh well I may need to buy condo or house if I live here for long.

jes_ON said:
Are you saying you didn't sign this form?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/imm0008_4e.pdf

"Forever" is a bit much, but can't see what the expectation is for Saskatchewan (I think it's at least one year fo Quebec, for example). But if you plan to get citizenship, you should probably plan to stay there at least that long...

But if that is too long, then you're right, you made a mistake. Even if your application is approved, you could lose your PR status if it is determined that you had no intention of settling in Saskatchewan.

You may also apply under CEC, and it is not a problem (from the perspective of processing your application), if you leave Canada.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is no minimum time limit you have to stay. When you apply, you sign a document stating that you intend to settle in SK. You are not signing that you must live in SK for any particular amount of time or forever. Intentions can change and if it was true when you landed that you intended to settle in SK, you have not committed misrepresentation. They have recently been cancelling nominations of people who land outside their PNP province and admit they have no intention or never had of settling in their PNP province but I still haven't heard of them trying to revoke PR of people who left the province after they already had their PR. In my opinion, if they even tried that, they wouldn't get away with it because there is no contract between you and the province that states you must live there for a year or 3 years or forever, only that you intend to settle in the province which must be true at the time you apply and at the time you land.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Leon said:
but I still haven't heard of them trying to revoke PR of people who left the province after they already had their PR. In my opinion, if they even tried that, they wouldn't get away with it because there is no contract between you and the province that states you must live there for a year or 3 years or forever, only that you intend to settle in the province which must be true at the time you apply and at the time you land.
Agreed, haven't heard of them doing that yet, but the grounds would be misrepresentation, since they do have to sign a statement of intent. The OP clearly does not have that intent; CIC is supposed to reaffirm the intent before issuing the visa, at which point the OP would either have to lie or admit that s/he no longer intends to live there. I would not be surprised if new enforcement measures are on the horizon.

Sure, intention is a difficult thing to prove - unless the OP does anything to establish intent to reside in another province before landing...

I read a reference to a study where they examined the provincial income tax returns of PNP/PRs to assess whether or not they stayed in the province (don't remember the numbers, but it was a bit shocking how many did not stay). If I recall correctly, most of those who were not in their PNP province had "moved" in the first year - those were the ones who were interpreted as "cheating."

I appreciate the OP's honesty - personally, I cannot support any kind of intentional deception or cheating the system - it's up to you whether or not you should withdraw your PNP application - but I also don't think you need to think of SINP as a life sentence in Saskatchewan - you're there now, obviously, so establishing a "permanent" residence will be easy - you've probably already done most of those things (e.g. you have an address, probably bank account, drivers license etc.). "Permanent" does not mean "forever", I think it means "indefinitely" - e.g. no specific end-date or plans to change residence.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
On page 12 of OP7, they say:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op07b-eng.pdf said:
The nominating province should always be accurately coded and this coding must remain unchanged throughout the landing process. There have been many cases where provincial nominees nominated by one province indicate upon landing that they are destined to another province, and Canada Border Services Agency officers have taken it upon themselves to change the province of destination on the file. It has been found that in most of these cases, the new permanent resident is simply visiting friends or family on their way to their new home, and most do end up reporting to and settling in the province that nominated them.
However, no idea how many of those people ended up reporting to their nominating province because they had a talking to when they landed and realized it might not turn out well for them if they did not go there.

There are probably also a number of people who go to a province with the full intention of settling there and within the first year have been unable to get a job in their field in that province but get a better job elsewhere. I think if your choice is between staying in your PNP province and working at McD's or going to another province where you get a much better job, most people would go but that doesn't mean that they had that intention all along.

There are absolutely people who apply through PNP never intending to live in that province but OP is definitely not one of them. Note OP saying not being able to promise to stay there forever and in case they would like to move to another province. It doesn't seem to me that OP has any clear intention of moving out of the province. They just can not promise they want to live there forever which is understandable.

hohoho

Feb 20, 2011
Thanks for Leon and jes_ON. I have been thinking about a lot of things, and it's not worth while applying for CEC. I will stick with SINP and try to settle in SK. I have seen some talks about refusal of CEC applciations on this forum because they did not provide a good reference letter for work experience. I don't think I can get a good reference letter for my work experince from my current employer.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
hohoho - I think Leon & I were ultimately saying pretty much the same thing, so I hope our debate didn't add to your confusion :) You are right, the success of CEC applications depends quite a bit on the Letter of Employment - note it is not a "reference" letter or letter of support, it merely has to state the facts of your employment (as detailed in the document checklist, section 10).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5610E.PDF

But if you think your employer will not provide the required information, then it becomes difficult to prove your experience for CEC.

jason111

Star Member
Sep 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-07-2011
AOR Received.
15-10-2011
Med's Request
15-10-2011
Med's Done....
26-10-2011
Passport Req..
19-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
03-01-2012
LANDED..........
03-01-2012
I am also in SK. As you already realized, there are two major drawbacks if you apply SINP which are slow processing time and you have to stay in SK forever technically after landed. I mean if you can get a decent employment letter, it is always the top choice to choose CEC.

umairz

Aug 26, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-07-2011
AOR Received.
19-10-2011
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
19-10-2011
Med's Done....
27-10-2011
Passport Req..
02-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
21-12-2011
LANDED..........
07-01-2012
jason111 said:
I am also in SK. As you already realized, there are two major drawbacks if you apply SINP which are slow processing time and you have to stay in SK forever technically after landed. I mean if you can get a decent employment letter, it is always the top choice to choose CEC.
So, you are accepting the fact, hohoho will have to stay in sask forever? What about all teh references JES_ON & LEON provided above under whish it states that "there could be sircumstances and reasons for which people leave" and apparently they are not too mad about it that they would actually revoke your status.