+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for a visitor visa while in Canada

Discussion in 'Visitors' started by Chris3452, Mar 4, 2011.

  1. Hi, My visitor visa expired a few years ago, but I have a valid study permit, and so I applied for a visitor visa from within Canada thinking they would issue it, and waited for two months only to discover that the temporary resident visa cannot be issued from within Canada, only extended. How I can apply? I’m thinking of sending my application to Detroit USA or travelling back home (Kenya) and applying there, but sometimes the officers there act funny, and can deny me the re-entry visa even if I have my Study permit(this almost happened to my cousin and she was very close to graduating). What do you think is my best option?
  2. Hi

    Apply by mail to one of the US offices, Buffalo, Detroit. The instructions for Buffalo are here: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/buffalo/imm/visa_temp.aspx?lang=eng#REQUIREMENTSCANADA
  3. can u explain a bit more what actually happened? how come it's not possible to apply for it within Canada if there eve is such an option on MyCIC? why exactly did they reject or where reasons for rejections are stated?
  4. Visa applications are applied for outside Canada, so if the OP sent the application to any of the processing centers in Canada, it would be rejected; not within the offices' purview.

  5. Thanks for the link.

    Yes, that is what I was told, my visitor visa expired a few years ago, so I need to get a new one outside Canada. Had the visitor visa not expired, I could have renewed it through MyCIC.
  6. sorry, something is not correct here. read this immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5414&PID=120728

    i mean, as i understood - you needed a legal change of status from student to visitor - which would be a visitor's record and not a visitor's visa in your case. so a visitor's record should have been issued, while for the visa - yes, you have to go out of the country. so what did you apply for?
  7. Hi

    1. The OP has a valid study permit.
    2. He wants a TRV (visitor visa) as s/he is requires one to enter Canada if he leaves. S/he has to apply for from an overseas office.

Share This Page