+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for a visitor visa while in Canada

Chris3452

Dec 6, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, My visitor visa expired a few years ago, but I have a valid study permit, and so I applied for a visitor visa from within Canada thinking they would issue it, and waited for two months only to discover that the temporary resident visa cannot be issued from within Canada, only extended. How I can apply? I’m thinking of sending my application to Detroit USA or travelling back home (Kenya) and applying there, but sometimes the officers there act funny, and can deny me the re-entry visa even if I have my Study permit(this almost happened to my cousin and she was very close to graduating). What do you think is my best option?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Chris3452 said:
Hi, My visitor visa expired a few years ago, but I have a valid study permit, and so I applied for a visitor visa from within Canada thinking they would issue it, and waited for two months only to discover that the temporary resident visa cannot be issued from within Canada, only extended. How I can apply? I'm thinking of sending my application to Detroit USA or travelling back home (Kenya) and applying there, but sometimes the officers there act funny, and can deny me the re-entry visa even if I have my Study permit(this almost happened to my cousin and she was very close to graduating). What do you think is my best option?
Apply by mail to one of the US offices, Buffalo, Detroit. The instructions for Buffalo are here: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/buffalo/imm/visa_temp.aspx?lang=eng#REQUIREMENTSCANADA

summerky

Feb 2, 2011
toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17 March 2010
Doc's Request.
23 Jan 2010
AOR Received.
28 April 2010
Med's Request
20 Oct 2010
Med's Done....
27 Oct 2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waiting :(
can u explain a bit more what actually happened? how come it's not possible to apply for it within Canada if there eve is such an option on MyCIC? why exactly did they reject or where reasons for rejections are stated?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Visa applications are applied for outside Canada, so if the OP sent the application to any of the processing centers in Canada, it would be rejected; not within the offices' purview.

summerky said:
can u explain a bit more what actually happened? how come it's not possible to apply for it within Canada if there eve is such an option on MyCIC? why exactly did they reject or where reasons for rejections are stated?

Chris3452

Dec 6, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Hi

Apply by mail to one of the US offices, Buffalo, Detroit. The instructions for Buffalo are here: canadainternational.gc.ca/buffalo/imm/visa_temp.aspx?lang=eng#REQUIREMENTSCANADA
Thanks for the link.

job_seeker said:
Visa applications are applied for outside Canada, so if the OP sent the application to any of the processing centers in Canada, it would be rejected; not within the offices' purview.
Yes, that is what I was told, my visitor visa expired a few years ago, so I need to get a new one outside Canada. Had the visitor visa not expired, I could have renewed it through MyCIC.

summerky

Feb 2, 2011
toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17 March 2010
Doc's Request.
23 Jan 2010
AOR Received.
28 April 2010
Med's Request
20 Oct 2010
Med's Done....
27 Oct 2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waiting :(
sorry, something is not correct here. read this immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5414&PID=120728

i mean, as i understood - you needed a legal change of status from student to visitor - which would be a visitor's record and not a visitor's visa in your case. so a visitor's record should have been issued, while for the visa - yes, you have to go out of the country. so what did you apply for?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

summerky said:
sorry, something is not correct here. read this immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5414&PID=120728

i mean, as i understood - you needed a legal change of status from student to visitor - which would be a visitor's record and not a visitor's visa in your case. so a visitor's record should have been issued, while for the visa - yes, you have to go out of the country. so what did you apply for?
1. The OP has a valid study permit.
2. He wants a TRV (visitor visa) as s/he is requires one to enter Canada if he leaves. S/he has to apply for from an overseas office.