+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply PR Card or PRTD?

manistee

Feb 13, 2023
Hello everyone, I have been living and working in the USA for over 8 years and have been with the same employer and client for 8 years but with my most recent H-1B extension application there is a RFE asking to prove the job falls under specialty occupation. I am not sure of the outcome and am considering moving to Canada. We did a soft landing back in February 2023 but don't have our PR cards in hand yet because the CBSA officer mentioned that we should apply them when we move to Canada. She mentioned that we should be able to cross the land border by showing the COPR document without issues but I am not sure if I can do that if my H-1B extension is denied because I won't have a valid status in the US. If I don't have a valid status in the US by the time I cross the border will I be denied entry and I am guessing that may not be the case. The only issue I will be having though is if at all entry is denied by CBSA then I don't have anywhere to go.

With all this in mind, is it still ok to apply for PR cards while I am still outside Canada? My sister's family lives in Alberta and I can give her address but I also got the PR because of a provincial nomination from Ontario and I am not sure if providing address from a different province is allowed. I don't intend to move to Alberta, it is just to get my PR card delivered. Also, if I have to fly to Canada, should I apply for PRTD from the US? Please let me know.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone, I have been living and working in the USA for over 8 years and have been with the same employer and client for 8 years but with my most recent H-1B extension application there is a RFE asking to prove the job falls under specialty occupation. I am not sure of the outcome and am considering moving to Canada. We did a soft landing back in February 2023 but don't have our PR cards in hand yet because the CBSA officer mentioned that we should apply them when we move to Canada. She mentioned that we should be able to cross the land border by showing the COPR document without issues but I am not sure if I can do that if my H-1B extension is denied because I won't have a valid status in the US. If I don't have a valid status in the US by the time I cross the border will I be denied entry and I am guessing that may not be the case. The only issue I will be having though is if at all entry is denied by CBSA then I don't have anywhere to go.

With all this in mind, is it still ok to apply for PR cards while I am still outside Canada? My sister's family lives in Alberta and I can give her address but I also got the PR because of a provincial nomination from Ontario and I am not sure if providing address from a different province is allowed. I don't intend to move to Alberta, it is just to get my PR card delivered. Also, if I have to fly to Canada, should I apply for PRTD from the US? Please let me know.
You should be in Canada to apply for your PR card and given that you didn’t apply for a PR card during your soft landing IRCC will want to see that you are the ones receiving the PR card. You can enter Canada via land border with the COPR or you can apply for the PRTD to enter Canada by air. You are well within your RO so either should be fine. Once you get to Canada then I would apply for your PR card.

Reactions: armoured
Dec 10, 2023

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Isn't your sister's family = your family? If you are out-of-status in US, once you entered Canada, I think you will have to decide where in Canada to live. Best if the PR card delivered to where you live in Canada especially Ontario.