+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any one here forgot to renew SIN, but later applied for CEC?

farnaws

Star Member
Jan 26, 2015
Hi,

My SIN expired quite a while ago which me and my employer didn't catch. Although my work permit was valid for working. I am interested to know if it has any effect on CEC application, since I will apply for that soon.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

retwant

Dec 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
farnaws said:
Hi,

My SIN expired quite a while ago which me and my employer didn't catch. Although my work permit was valid for working. I am interested to know if it has any effect on CEC application, since I will apply for that soon.

How long ago was it expired? Have you ever extended your work permit during your employment?

farnaws

Star Member
Jan 26, 2015
Thanks for the reply,

I got my open work permit at February, 2014(and it is valid till February,2016). Before that I had a study permit which expired at 31st March, and my SIN card expiry date was updated to that expiry date. However, I didn't notice that and started working and my employer also missed that. Since I had my open work permit still valid I was totally missed that part that I need to renew my SIN as well. Just few days back I renewed my SIN to the current expiry date. So thats my situation.

retwant

Dec 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You only require a SIN as a worker in Canada because that is an identifier tool that the government uses to track and record your contribution to things like CPP & EI. When you are working, it is definitely both your employer and your statutory responsibility to ensure that you obtain a valid SIN before you start working. However, your right to work as foreign worker shouldnt be connected directly to your SIN number.

There may be consequences to you and your employer, but I can't imagine them to be disastrous or even serious, as long as both you and your employer paid all taxes and never involve in any form of unauthorized work. Did the agent in Service Canada say anything regarding your case?

farnaws

Star Member
Jan 26, 2015
Some agents say not a big deal, some says, may cause problem, I am not sure what's gonna happen. I am going to file my tax for 2014 soon, as I have T4 in my hand, and also planning for CEC application. I know that's my and my employer's responsibility, but thats my badluck that we totally missed it.

retwant

Dec 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
farnaws said:
Some agents say not a big deal, some says, may cause problem, I am not sure what's gonna happen. I am going to file my tax for 2014 soon, as I have T4 in my hand, and also planning for CEC application. I know that's my and my employer's responsibility, but thats my badluck that we totally missed it.
You have renewed it successfully, and it is not an uncommon case anyways. Bigger chance that it won't affect your PR application. Good luck!

May 11, 2023
Hi,

Hey! I am in an almost similar situation today. I'm really curious to know how did your process go, did you get through it?

t6e4m8

Star Member
Aug 3, 2019
Alberta, Canada
From Canada dot com

If you have applied for renewal of a work or study permit, and your permit expires before a decision is made, you have the right* to continue working or studying under the same conditions. You must remain in Canada during this time. This “implied status” will remain until a decision is made by IRCC. This means you are allowed to work even though your SIN has expired. For more information about implied status, contact IRCC.

* As per paragraph 186(u) and section 189 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations

Once IRCC authorizes you to continue working in Canada, you must apply to Service Canada with your new immigration document to update the expiry date on your SIN record. The expiry date on both your SIN record and your immigration document must match

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/receiving-updating.html