+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

An ex-refugee claimant isuued ITA from PEI

Mahbub017

Star Member
Apr 8, 2017
Hello Experts,
I understand I can not count experience I got in Canada while waiting for a decision on my refugee application under CEC category.(Refugee claimants who have authorization to work or study while waiting for a decision on their claim do not have temporary resident status and cannot apply under this category). Well, the rule says, CEC category not FSWP. That means this experience may be considered under FSWP. If so, I can actually claim for Adaptability Work Experience (FSW, six selection factor), not CRS point though.
I would appreciate if kindly correct me if I'm wrong.
Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Don't believe you can count your time in Canada while an asylum claimant for anything. That would encourage people to file false claims to gain an advantage when they apply for PR in the future. The government would not want to encourage false claims.

Mahbub017

Star Member
Apr 8, 2017
Don't believe you can count your time in Canada while an asylum claimant for anything. That would encourage people to file false claims to gain an advantage when they apply for PR in the future. The government would not want to encourage false claims.
Thanks for your comment. I tend to agree with you. However, I"m totally confused as, one of the professional consultant sais, "You can't count experience under CEC category and Inland Canada. But as you left Canada voluntarily as soon as your your claim rejected, you may count adaptability point (10). But keep in mind, your work experience gained in Canada can't be considered as valid work experience meaning you can't claim for CRS point."