+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

American with a Canadian PR but without the PR card

Hopebw

Nov 30, 2023
Hi,
This post is a bit urgent..
I am an American that in August obtained Permanent Resident status in Canada.
In a few weeks I am supposed to travel to US with my family but my card hasn’t arrived yet.
Can I travel (by plane) with just using my US passport and my COPR?
Will they allow me to board the plane going back to Canada?
My concern is that they will not allow me to come back to Canada since I don’t have the PR card yet..
Thank you all so much in advance for your help!!
Hope

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
In a few weeks I am supposed to travel to US with my family but my card hasn’t arrived yet.
My concern is that they will not allow me to come back to Canada since I don’t have the PR card yet..
Hope
Only Americans can travel by plane without needing their PR card so you’re fine with your US passport

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
Hope
As mentioned, you should be able to travel on the strength of your US passport, BUT... if the airline discovers that you are a PR, they may ask to see a valid PR Card (it has happened to at least a couple of US passport holders in these forums, although it seems to be rare and with smaller, international airlines). This risk may increase if you have an address in Canada listed as your residence when booking your flight. Not all airline staff are aware of the [apparent] bilateral agreement that seems to allow for US passport holders, who happen to have PR status in Canada, to fly without the card. This may be why IRCC states that {to paraphrase]: "Without a valid PR Card you may not be able to travel to Canada via a commercial carrier." If it was truly an absolute rule, the word `may' would not be there, right?

Suggest that you let the airline assume that you are just visiting Canada, but of course answer truthfully if asked.

Worse case would be to have to drive across a land PoE to return to Canada in a personal vehicle (non-commercial) since the PR Card is not needed by CBSA as it's ony a requirement of a commercial carrier, like an airline. CBSA only needs something that proves your PR status...which your US passport would likely illuminate since it's connected to your PR status.

Now...wouldn't it be great if you receive your PR card before you leave! It could happen!