Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Good for you and do let us know how it goes. If you are still not successful, check with Royal Bank. Once you have confirmation that you can get a TFSA from Royal Bank, you can go back to TD and let them know that and then politely inform them you are considering moving banks and all your accounts as a result. It usually works. :D Also, you can open keep your accounts with TD and open your TFSA in another bank.

It's no wonder many Canadians were penalised for over-contributing to their TFSA the first few years it was implemented, we can now see how that could happen when some bank workers aren't aware of the rules. :eek:

from_mumbai said:
thanks seton.. I'll print this out to show them.. also, I just called CRA and the guy said that I should be able to have a TFSA. Whether I have a temporary or permanent SIN is immaterial...
I've determined to get it done today... :)

mannual

Nov 24, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I came as a foreign worker 6 month ago last week I open TFSV in RBC bank. They check my personal banking until 6 month and they approve it.mumbai vhai try to talk in RBC agent.

from_mumbai

Mar 4, 2013
Ontario
Yeah..! Finally got TD to open up a TFSA..

talked to a branch manager today and he said that yes I can open one..
So I setup one and just ignored the canadian resident issue..

After everything was done, I aksed him about it and he clearly said that if you are residing in Canada (tax purposes) and filing taxes as a Canadian resident, then you can definitely open up a TFSA

Thanks a lot friends!!
:) :) :) :) :) :)

Gary Goldshmidt

Dec 4, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To open a TFSA in Canada you need to be a taxpayer and all the applications require a SIN to open an account. If you have a SIN and ID then you can open a TFSA I have been in financial services for over 20 years and can assist anyone who want to open an account in Ontario.

You can also visit my web site www.stone-hedgefinancialgroup.ca

swapno

Star Member
Jun 26, 2012
Hi All,
I am new in Canada, landed permanently three weeks back. I have two questions, I know somebody has asked the same questions before
1. How Can I transfer money (without tax) from Singapore after selling my prperty there? I haven't sold it yet and planning to keep it for few years.
For that case when I will sell will need to give tax for that? Can I declare my flat in Singapore now so that I don't need to give any tax when I will sell it.
2. How to transfer money to India? I gave a bank account in CIBC.

Appreciate your help please. I landed in March, came back after three weeks, again came permanently on May 22nd'13.
Regards,
Swapno

Gary Goldshmidt

Dec 4, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A sin may be immaterial however no institution I deal with will open up an account without a SIN. I am in Toronto and have been dealing with investments for twenty years.

yaanlpc

Mar 24, 2014
Winnipeg
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2015 (cic)
Doc's Request.
14-02-2016
Nomination.....
05-05-2015
AOR Received.
05-Aug-2015
IELTS Request
25-05-2015
Med's Request
23-12-2015
Med's Done....
08-01-2016
Passport Req..
02-09-2016
VISA ISSUED...
07-09-2016, xPresspost activated 16th.
LANDED..........
24-09-2016
To contribute my two points, I just contacted with someone who is in the relevant department for TFSA processing in CRA, I am pretty sure that anyone who arrived in Canada with the working permit can be immediately eligible to open the TFSA account whatever the SIN begins with. the service agent specifically emphasized that the SIN starting with 9 is a VALID or LEGAL SIN. Any of the other statement from the local bank like the above mentioned TD is totally WRONG!!!

The professional agent told me I can contribute 5000 for the 2013 and 5500 for 2014 even I arrive in the Dec of 2013, I need to emphasized that the total means sum of deposit, which means even you withdraw some of the money during the tax year, it can't be excluded from the sum of your contribution. for my case, I put in $5000 in tfsa account tomorrow, and put in another $5500 in the next month, and I take out $2000 in the 3rd month, please remember, I CAN'T put in any of the money in the rest of this year!!! But, I will can add that $2000 into the tax year of 2015, so tricky?! YES.

I think this should be clear now! Or you can still contact with 855-284-5942->choose tfsa option->someone will guide u to the international department for TFSA.

Oct 20, 2016
Hi everyone, I am here with a student visa for 10 months now. I didn't make my first tax file yes. so am I eligible too for TFSA? I have two bank chequing accounts in two different banks.