+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I Eligible for Canadian Citizenship with Limited Tax Filing History as a Minor?

b1azza

Apr 12, 2024
I'm hoping to get some advice regarding Canadian citizenship eligibility. I've been a permanent resident in Canada since I was 16 and recently turned 19. I've lived here for over 1095 days, meeting the physical presence requirement. Last year, when I turned 18, I filed my taxes for the first time.

Given that I was a minor without taxable income before turning 18, I couldn't file taxes for those years. I'm wondering if I still meet the requirement of having filed taxes for at least three years within the last five years for citizenship, even though I've only filed once as an adult. Does the period I was a minor and not required to file count towards my eligibility?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You should ask this question in the citizenship sub-forum.

My understanding is that the requirement is that you must have filed three times if you were required to. If you were not required to (eg as a minor with no income), you should be okay. And yes would count towards your eligibility.

BUT:
-definitely ask in the other forum to confirm.
-it MAY be in your interests to go back and file for those two years now. It won't be complicated if you had no income. (One thing to be cautious about though - a subject I do not know - is if your parents were filing with you as a dependent. But I don't think that will cause any problems, it's not the first such case).

b1azza

Apr 12, 2024
I'm hoping to get some advice regarding Canadian citizenship eligibility. I've been a permanent resident in Canada since I was 16 and recently turned 19. I've lived here for over 1095 days, meeting the physical presence requirement. Last year, when I turned 18, I filed my taxes for the first time.

Given that I was a minor without taxable income before turning 18 https://xender.vip/ , I couldn't file taxes for those years. I'm wondering if I still meet the requirement of having filed taxes for at least three years within the last five years for citizenship, even though I've only filed once as an adult. Does the period I was a minor and not required to file count towards my eligibility?
I got this,...