+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I Canadian by Descent?

ARCHITECTONIC

Feb 3, 2019
Hi, I'm trying to determine if I might be Canadian by descent. My great grandfather was born in Port Perry, Ontario in 1895 and eventually immigrated to the US. He wed an American woman who gave birth to my grandmother (1932) in Illinois. Subsequently, my father (1964) and I (1991) were also born in the states. I'm not aware of any of my family members making official claims to citizenship with the Canadian government or registering any births, etc.

I know that Canadian citizenship did not come into existence until 1947 so I'm unsure of the implications this has on my case. I believe under current legislation my grandmother can make a claim to citizenship and I may be able to as well (through her?) on the basis that I was born before 2009 when the generational limits were instituted.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Hi, I'm trying to determine if I might be Canadian by descent. My great grandfather was born in Port Perry, Ontario in 1895 and eventually immigrated to the US. He wed an American woman who gave birth to my grandmother (1932) in Illinois. Subsequently, my father (1964) and I (1991) were also born in the states. I'm not aware of any of my family members making official claims to citizenship with the Canadian government or registering any births, etc.

I know that Canadian citizenship did not come into existence until 1947 so I'm unsure of the implications this has on my case. I believe under current legislation my grandmother can make a claim to citizenship and I may be able to as well (through her?) on the basis that I was born before 2009 when the generational limits were instituted.

Thanks in advance for your insights.
Not crushing your hopes, but I 99.99% believe you are not Canadian..it is just too far back.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/already-citizen.html

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013