+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

am eligible for OHIP right away or would have to wait 3months

soj

Feb 23, 2007
Dear guyz,the health insurance issue is very confusing.this is my story,i got my pr in feb 2008,stayed a month x left canada.ever since i ve not come back but my wife is pregnant now and she is going to deliver early next year.we want to come to canada before xmas and wait till she delivers,maybe spend two more months before going back to nigeria.on this websitehttp://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/ohipfaq_dt.aspx.it says,Generally speaking, if you are a newcomer to Ontario, or a former resident returning here to live after being out of the country for more than seven months, the waiting period begins on the date you establish or re-establish residence in Ontario. You may also be required to be present in Ontario for 153 days of the first 183 days immediately following the date residence is established in Ontario (you cannot be absent for more than 30 days during the first 6 months of residence).Does this mean that if my family gets to ontario on dec15 2009,the 3months starts from that day.

How far is alberta from ontario cos am also looking at other alternatives that i may turn to.thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You would have to wait 3 months starting on the day you take up residence in ON.

Alberta is pretty far from Ontario, basically on the other side of Canada, closer to Vancouver.
Quebec or Manitoba could also be options for you. I think both of them waive the waiting period for pregnancy and childbirth.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It looks to me from http://www.gov.mb.ca/health/mhsip/index.html#new2Manitoba that Manitoba does not have a waiting period at all for people moving from another country so your whole family should be covered from the day you arrive but maybe better call them and ask to make sure.

Since you say you are going back to Nigeria after the baby is born, just so you know, PR's do have a residency requirement of living in Canada 2 years in each 5 year period so since you have 1 and a half years outside Canada already, you only have another 1 and a half before you have to move to Canada for good.

soj

Feb 23, 2007
leon,thks i am moving finally b4 dec 2010.am actually working on something in nigeria which should be fully completed by dec 2010.thks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Manitoba seems to have a waiver for all who are moving from abroad. People moving within Canada would have health coverage from the province they lived in before so waiting period for them doesn't really matter. I already gave you the link for that, you just have to call them to make sure.

It is Quebec that has a waiver for pregnant women.

soj

Feb 23, 2007
Re: am i eligible for OHIP right away or would have to wait 3months

soj said:
Dear guyz,the health insurance issue is very confusing.this is my story,i got my pr in feb 2008,stayed a month x left canada.ever since i ve not come back but my wife is pregnant now and she is going to deliver early next year.we want to come to canada before xmas and wait till she delivers,maybe spend two more months before going back to nigeria.on this websitehttp://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/ohipfaq_dt.aspx.it says,Generally speaking, if you are a newcomer to Ontario, or a former resident returning here to live after being out of the country for more than seven months, the waiting period begins on the date you establish or re-establish residence in Ontario. You may also be required to be present in Ontario for 153 days of the first 183 days immediately following the date residence is established in Ontario (you cannot be absent for more than 30 days during the first 6 months of residence).Does this mean that if my family gets to ontario on dec15 2009,the 3months starts from that day.

How far is alberta from ontario cos am also looking at other alternatives that i may turn to.thanks

soj

Feb 23, 2007

soj said:

soj

Feb 23, 2007

soj said:

tito

Feb 10, 2007
soj said:
soj said:

soj,
Thought you are done with this issue? You can't use Ontario if you wont be here 3 months before your wife's EDD. I believe Alberta is some 4-5 hours away. The time for OHIP does not start counting from the landing date but from when you establish residence, you will be required to show proof of residence when you apply. In my case, my 1 year old bank statement showing a residential address was even rejected for being too old!
Let me know if you need further clarification.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

soj said:
It depends on where you are in Ontario. If you are in Toronto, it will take you 36-38 hours to drive to Calgary. If you fly, it will take 4-5 hours.