+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Alternatives to bring a minor to Canada (other than a PR)

Feb 26, 2015
Bangalore
Category........
FSW
VISA ISSUED...
01-11-2017
LANDED..........
25-04-2018
Hi All,

I am a single mom (divorced) to a 6 year old girl. I am from India. As per the terms of my divorce, I was granted full, permanent and sole custody of my daughter. However my ex was given visitation rights. So when I applied for PR for myself and my daughter last year (2017), I was asked to produce the IMM5604 form. When I asked my ex to sign it, he flatly refused. His main concern was the language used in the form. It says that by giving his consent to allow his child to immigrate to Canada he understands and accepts that he may be permanently separated from her. No matter how much I tried to convince him that I will bring her to India during every summer and winter break or sponsor his tickets to come to Canada to meet her, he refused to budge.
So I ended up in a situation where I had to pull her out of my application. My PR was granted, however hers was refused. She still is listed as a dependent child on my application. So there is room to apply for her PR through family sponsorship in future.

I plan to come to Canada in April'18 to complete my landing formalities and then return to India to wrap up my life here and move to Canada lock, stock and barrel by Sept'18. My question regarding my situation are as follows:

1. What are the options available to me to bring my daughter to Canada when I move there permanently in Sept'18. Do I apply for her study visa or do I apply for her TRV? Which of these have a better chance of approval for my daughter given her situation?

2. If I apply for her student visa do I still need to produce the IMM 5604 ?

3. Do I need an acceptance letter from a Canadian school before I can apply for her study permit? She will be eligible to study in grade 1 when I apply for her study permit.

4. If the answer to 3. is Yes, then do schools give a letter of acceptance when the child is not yet in Canada?

5. How long do I need to wait after moving to Canada permanently, to apply for a family sponsorship for a dependent child and how long does it typically take to come?

6. Also, when I apply for her family sponsorship, I will again approach my ex to sign the consent form. But I am 100 % sure he won't agree to sign the IMM5604 in its current form. He may agree to sign a handwritten consent letter, notarized and all that simply states that he allows his child to immigrate to Canada (I have not yet proposed this to him but my guess is he may agree if this is an option). Will such a consent letter be acceptable to IRCC?

@canuck_in_uk I have seen you responding on similar topics. Would you please share your opinion on the above questions?

Last edited:

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
The IMM5604 is only used for immigration as a PR. It clearly states that on the form.

As for an alternative document to somehow replace it for PR purposes. Extremely unlikely to be accepted by IRCC.