+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Alternative/Dispensation to 12 month income when sponsoring sister

jorgenmunk1983

Star Member
Mar 4, 2019
Hi all

I am a Danish national living in Denmark with my Chinese wife.
As she is an only Child we have to consider moving back to China when her parents get older.
However my wifes uncle lives in Canada, and has no other relatives, which means he could sponsor his sister (my mother-in-law...) however he is a painter with low income, he teaches classes and sells the occasional painting so he does not meet the minimum income requirement.
However his parents left a sizable inheritance and he has no mortgage on his house.

MY question:
Is there any chance that his wealth could be used rather than the minimum income when considering his eligibility for sponsorship, or would he have to reach the minimum threshold for a minimum of 12 months before making the application?

We are on track to move ourselves later this year or next year to Canada but as I understand it, the relationship Niece/uncle shouldn't change the uncles ability to sponsor his sister. The alternative of course is for us to wait +3 years untill we can attempt to sponsor the mother ourselves, but this seems like a very arduous process without guaranteed success

Thanks!

jorgenmunk1983

Star Member
Mar 4, 2019
Ah I totally read that wrong I thought potential sponsor meant the uncle, not the sister.
Well if that's the case then it only works if he applies now I guess,thanks for clearing that up.

I had a Copr but it expired and the Canadian authorities feel I should be left hanging for +9 months so don't really know when I will hear back from them.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Ah I totally read that wrong I thought potential sponsor meant the uncle, not the sister.
Well if that's the case then it only works if he applies now I guess,thanks for clearing that up.

I had a Copr but it expired and the Canadian authorities feel I should be left hanging for +9 months so don't really know when I will hear back from them.
The ”lonely” Canadian rule is very specific. You uncle has no spouse or children. He has to show proof of income as he takes on support for 20 years. The process takes years. If you are going to be PR soon, the application would most likely be refused because you would be in Canada by the time the application is processed.