+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Alberta Health Card Waiting Time - Moving from Toronto to Edmonton,with No OHIP

datt

Jul 28, 2012
Hi All,

We came to Toronto 45 days back from the U.S. Applied for OHIP in toronto and they said we get the health card after 3 months of our landing in Canada. Now we are moving to Edmonton for job purpose and would like to know what is the waiting period for health card in Edmonton? Is it again 3 more months or will be eligible from day 1 as we don't have the health coverage from other provinces?

Any response would be appreciated.
I went through some of the topics but couldn't find the correct answer to our situation as this is little different.

thanks in advance,
datt

haver

May 30, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here is what it says on their website:
"If you are moving to Alberta from elsewhere in Canada, you are eligible for AHCIP coverage on the first day of the third month following your date of arrival. You should register within 3 months of arrival. If you apply later, the effective date of your coverage will be determined when you register."

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You basically have to talk with AB health. If you state that you just moved from the US and that you had just arrived in ON and haven't really settled yet and don't have OHIP yet, they may decide to look at your move as an international move and give you 1st day health care. If not, if you move before the end of this month, you will have coverage as of November 1st.

datt

Jul 28, 2012
Thank you all for the replies.
I have emailed Alberta Health Care and here is what they said:

We can not confirm the date your coverage will start until we view your
Application and validation documents.

In general, if you move to reside in Alberta permanently and apply within
90 days of arriving from outside the country, your Alberta Health Care
Insurance Plan (AHCIP) coverage will start the date you arrive in Alberta.
If you apply later than 90 days after arriving in Canada AHCIP will decide
the effective date of your coverage based on the date the application is
received.

steph816

Star Member
Dec 21, 2009
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2011
AOR Received.
01-06-2011
File Transfer...
13-06-2011 VO began processing 06-10-2011
Med's Request
10-01-2012
Med's Done....
22-01-2011, 27-02-2012
Interview........
23-05-2012
Passport Req..
19-06-2012
VISA ISSUED...
06-07-2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2012
If you would have come to Alberta right from the US, you would have been covered the day you landed.
If you get to Alberta quick, then apply, you might have a chance to get coverage immediately. However, keep in mind, when you apply for Alberta Health Care, you have to prove residency in Alberta when you apply so you will have to have a utility bill, or a lease agreement, or something proving you're actually living in Alberta and not just coming over from Ontario to get health care.

If you are approved when you get to Edmonton, You will get your card in the mail within 5-7 days. =)

ItsBeenLongNow

Champion Member
Nov 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

We landed in Toronto, after we recd our PR cards we came back to wrap things up in the Middle East
Now we decided we will settle in Calgary, since we never applied for Ontario health card
Will we be entitled for Alberta health coverage from day 1?

Thanks all

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you did not stay in Toronto for a long time and this was months ago, AB health will most likely see your move as a move from overseas and not a move from Ontario and therefore you should be able to get 1st day coverage.

ItsBeenLongNow

Champion Member
Nov 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
If you did not stay in Toronto for a long time and this was months ago, AB health will most likely see your move as a move from overseas and not a move from Ontario and therefore you should be able to get 1st day coverage.
Thanks Leon, we stayed less than 20 days, but like i said, we will move to alberta next year
I hope we qualify for the ACHIP from the first day

Thanks

GREAKLY

Aug 14, 2011
steph816 said:
However, keep in mind, when you apply for Alberta Health Care, you have to prove residency in Alberta when you apply so you will have to have a utility bill, or a lease agreement, or something proving you're actually living in Alberta and not just coming over from Ontario to get health care.
Bank statement with your Alberta address on it is the easiest way to prove your residency. So, you could go to your bank, change the address and have them immediately print your statement. Then go to Alberta health and apply for the card. ll could be easily done in one way.

steph816 said:
If you are approved when you get to Edmonton, You will get your card in the mail within 5-7 days. =)
Do they give you some sort of temporary card for that period?

maryxtin

Apr 28, 2010
Hi,

We're returning immigrants to Calgary. Three years ago, we landed in Ontario but only stayed there for a week. This time we're staying for good. I'm hoping that Alberta would consider us as new immigrants and cover us as soon as we land. My question is, can our 1 year old baby who is on TRV, also be covered? We're really hoping she would be.

Thanks for your inputs in advance.

Mary

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
maryxtin said:
Hi,

We're returning immigrants to Calgary. Three years ago, we landed in Ontario but only stayed there for a week. This time we're staying for good. I'm hoping that Alberta would consider us as new immigrants and cover us as soon as we land. My question is, can our 1 year old baby who is on TRV, also be covered? We're really hoping she would be.

Thanks for your inputs in advance.

Mary
When you enter Canada, ask for a visitor record for your baby because you want to sponsor it. If the immigration officer gives the baby a visa for example for one year, you have a better chance of getting health care. You would explain the same to health care, that you are a returning PR who is outside Canada for 3 years and need to sponsor your child. AB has given health coverage in such cases before.

maryxtin

Apr 28, 2010
Leon said:
When you enter Canada, ask for a visitor record for your baby because you want to sponsor it. If the immigration officer gives the baby a visa for example for one year, you have a better chance of getting health care. You would explain the same to health care, that you are a returning PR who is outside Canada for 3 years and need to sponsor your child. AB has given health coverage in such cases before.
Thanks Leon for the quick response. May I just know what exactly is a visitor record? Actually, I bought round trip tickets for myself and my daughter because I want the immigration officer to think that we are returning since my baby is only on TRV. I'm just scared that he/she might refuse my daughter's entry if I say that we're actually going to sponsor her inland.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A visitor record is a piece of paper given to you by the immigration officer where they note the date of your arrival and how long they are allowing you to stay.