+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After Getting a PRTD...

Fadisl

Jan 19, 2015
Hello All,

I got the PRTD only one in my family because i was a minor but i have some questions,
1st: When i enter canada what is the procedure to get my new PR?
2nd: how many years i have to stay in Canada to apply for a citizenship?
3rd: And please if anybody knows here what i have to do from the point i will arrive canada?

Thank you

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Fadisl said:
Hello All,

I got the PRTD only one in my family because i was a minor but i have some questions,
1st: When i enter canada what is the procedure to get my new PR?
2nd: how many years i have to stay in Canada to apply for a citizenship?
3rd: And please if anybody knows here what i have to do from the point i will arrive canada?

Thank you
Foremost, you are a Permanent Resident, so you do not need "new PR," as such, although of course the sooner you can obtain a new PR card, a valid PR card, the easier certain things will be.

If you were a minor you may not already have a SIN. You will need a SIN to work. I would suggest finding a community-based settlement services as soon as you are in Canada and seeking their assistance in sorting out what to do, and when, relative to getting your SIN, getting a drivers license, finding work, obtaining health care coverage, and so on.

I am not sure about CIC policy and issuance of PR cards for PRs who are issued a PR TD based on H&C grounds. Perhaps someone else here has more insight about that. My sense is that you will need to wait two years, be in Canada for more than 730 days, before you can obtain a new PR card, but I am not confident about this.

You do not need a PR card necessarily . . . although it is required in some circumstances such as to obtain health care or a drivers license, depending on the province. I believe that for someone in your situation there are alternatives. Here again, local community based settlement services will probably offer you a lot of assistance working through this stuff.

As for citizenship: if you come to Canada in 2015, the very earliest you will be eligible for citizenship will be four years from that day plus the number of days you are outside Canada in the meantime.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
dpenabill said:
I am not sure about CIC policy and issuance of PR cards for PRs who are issued a PR TD based on H&C grounds. Perhaps someone else here has more insight about that. My sense is that you will need to wait two years, be in Canada for more than 730 days, before you can obtain a new PR card, but I am not confident about this.
Based on the RC-1 counterfoil received for the H&C PRTD, it could be that the officer who issued the PRTD already made the determination that the OP satisfied the RO (based on H&C grounds).
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf27-eng.pdf
RC-1 Positive residency decision based on H&C considerations

So if the OP has actually received a "positive residency decision", they are no longer in violation of RO.

There are some posts here which discuss this exact situation, and seem to indicate it would be ok to proceed with PR renewal immediately based on the positive RO decision already given. Though I've never actually seen any case where someone has reported back their renewal was successful.

http://www.settlement.org/discuss/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18040
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/should-i-renew-my-pr-card-now-t186892.0.html

rahulgj

May 3, 2014
Hello ROB
i am new here, so don't know how to respond, though i need to ask you some question
we (my parent and me immigrate to Canada last year july 2013, we stayed there for 6 months, and then we all move back to India in feb 18, 2014 for my marriage, which is not done yet, after few months our PR card and health card and SIN card stolen from bag in market as we kept all those together. now i have some question regarding it-

=we reported to nearest Police station and got a missing certificate
=then we applied to nearest Visa office in New Delhi, India to inform about the lost cards and we applied for travel document to re-enter Canada by the jan 2015 (planned)
=they have provided a Visa extension in the passport which shows date of issue- 31/10/2014, Expiry date-01/05/2015, number of entry-one Category R1 permanent residence
Is it a travel document that we just received in passport or the Visa office issue some other piece of paper to show during boarding rather than this one.
= We are planning to land in Quebec, as some of our relatives are there, But we firstly immigrated to our sister in Ontario who sponsered us,
=will there be any problem with this document and can we land directly to Montreal, Quebec
please Sir, provide me detail information, in short what a person has to do if he lost his PR card and wan to re-enter Canada and above few mentioned questions

thank you sir,
Rahul

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
rahulgj said:
=they have provided a Visa extension in the passport which shows date of issue- 31/10/2014, Expiry date-01/05/2015, number of entry-one Category R1 permanent residence
Is it a travel document that we just received in passport or the Visa office issue some other piece of paper to show during boarding rather than this one.
Yes that's a travel document. R-1 = Positive Residency Decision.

= We are planning to land in Quebec, as some of our relatives are there, But we firstly immigrated to our sister in Ontario who sponsered us,
=will there be any problem with this document and can we land directly to Montreal, Quebec
You have already "landed" as a PR, when you first got your PR back in July 2013. So you don't need to "land" again. When you come back to Canada on your travel document, you will simply be entering Canada as a PR. You can show up to any airport you want, and go to any city you want, it really doesn't matter.

Once arriving back in Canada, simply apply for a replacement PR card to replace your stolen one. And of course apply for replacement Healthcard and SIN. They should issue you a new SIN since your original one has been stolen and that number should be cancelled.

rahulgj

May 3, 2014
hello ROB
thank you very much for the information, Its very useful for me really,
can i ask you a question do reply me if you have time:
i have mentioned my condition in last message. As i was first immigrated to Ontario, Canada. now if i am landing in Montreal, Quebec and what if i wanna do job there what would be my condition, I mean what will happen with my PR card, If ill apply for health card, Which province's Health card ill get (previously it was Ontario Health Card), and my SIN card. Am i eligible to migrate and do job anywhere in Canada alone or with my parent

ill be in touch with you.
Thank you
rahulgj

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PRs have freedom of movement and can move to any province they want. If you live in Quebec, you would need to apply for a ramq card but you will not get it until 3 months after you establish residency in qc. SIN card is national, so no matter what province you are in you go to a Service Canada.

cruiser06

Star Member
May 27, 2014
I need an immediate advice on travel document application.

I landed on PR in January 2015 and stayed for a week in Canada. After signing my job offer, I came back to UAE so that I can close my children school account and take my family with me in March, 2015.
I have to go back to Canada in March, 2015 to start my job. i don't have PR card, as it generally takes 6-8 weeks after landing.
How complicated is to get the permanent travel document in this case?

Please any one advise/ expert opinion...

Thanks!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

cruiser06 said:
I need an immediate advice on travel document application.

I landed on PR in January 2015 and stayed for a week in Canada. After signing my job offer, I came back to UAE so that I can close my children school account and take my family with me in March, 2015.
I have to go back to Canada in March, 2015 to start my job. i don't have PR card, as it generally takes 6-8 weeks after landing.
How complicated is to get the permanent travel document in this case?

Please any one advise/ expert opinion...

Thanks!
1. Very simple, as you have tons of time to meet your PR obligations. You must submit the application for a PRTD through the VAC and the processing time is 10 days.

cruiser06

Star Member
May 27, 2014
PMM said:
Hi

1. Very simple, as you have tons of time to meet your PR obligations. You must submit the application for a PRTD through the VAC and the processing time is 10 days.
Thanks!
this is what I wanted to double confirm. Hopefully they wont object why I returned within a week.

cruiser06

Star Member
May 27, 2014
PMM said:
Hi

Hi,
In the application form, I have left point no 16, 17 and 18 as not applicable in my case. Is that the correct way to do? I was in canada just for 8 days and total days from my first landing till today is less thn 20 days even. Please correct if I am wrong
Please advice