+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice on finding a job

Adrina

Feb 19, 2011
Hello all,

I arrived to vancouver a month and a half ago, I am a permanent resident and skilled worker, I am trying to find a job even if it is just a survival job for now, but just can't seem to find any,

does anybody know where i can go apply for a job as a cashier or a call center or in a factory?? I have sent my resume like 200 times on craigslist posting, bc jobs, etc e etc but no response from anyone even for survival jobs, high profile jobs require canadian experience and survival jobs don't want to hire you because you are over qualified, so what to do???

any suggestions?? pleeaseeeeee

thanks

simonvee

Jul 13, 2009
Sorry to hear about that. I am on the same boat as you are. I will be in Canada in April with the intention of finding a survival job. Have you tried applying for say... a bank teller job??

If you think that it is overqualification that limits your chances then simply de-level your resume, for example, deleting your tertiary qualifications.

thezieglers

Star Member
Sep 14, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Prepare a stripped version of your resume where you show no studies other thna high school and no work experience. Take a few copies with you and walk around your neighbourhood. Check the windows art the retail stores, they may have a "We hire" sign. Drop in and hand your resume. Ask to talk to a manager prior to that. Never say you have some degree. Your past life is your secret. Do not share it.

Rinse and Repeat

Good luck,

Adrina

Feb 19, 2011
Thanks, I had thought of deleting the part where it shows my studies and langiage skills, so instead of 3 I should say I speak 2 then? I cant erase Spanish since I am from a Spanish speaking country.. but I can delete the French studies I have

What about experience? wouldn't it be odd for a person in her 30's not to have any??

simonvee

Jul 13, 2009
French is a valued language in Canada as I'm sure you are aware of. Although, it is not coherantly important throughout Canada. E.g. Toronto vs. Ottawa. Depending on where you are applying for the job that you should emphasize your language capabilities. An option is to delete the French studies but state in your resume under 'spoken languages' that you speak French. :)

As for your concern in regards to deleting some (not all) work experience, yes it is possible but you have to find the solution to filling or explaining the gaps of unemployment.

Adrina

Feb 19, 2011
French is a valued language, unfortunately not here in Vancouver, it seems Chinese Mandarin and other asian languages are considered more than French which is actually one of Canada's officials

good luck to you, are you coming to vancouver?

Canadian Career Coach

Star Member
Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Depending on where you're looking for work eg) Vancouver - French won't be as important.

You don't need to list your languages on your resume, or you could just put "Excellent written and oral English and Spanish" and leave out the French.

I would also suggest trying other job sites as Craigslist is not one of the top bulletin board sites;

www.indeed.ca
www.eluta.ca
www.workopolis.com
www.monster.ca

twenty

May 16, 2010
adrina , could you give me some tip on the skilled application ? and since you did not have a job offer did you have to bring a certain amount of money