+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Accompanying, PR Spouse Form" - Will we both get PR if I'm accepted?

jackham

Sep 25, 2022
I submitted my express entry profile with my spouse accompanying me. Now, I have been invited to apply. Does my spouse even need submit a PR application? He doesn't even have an pre-ITA application in the system yet.

We both have work permits and I have went ahead and filled out my pre-ITA paperwork months ago, but my spouse has been dragging their feet. I've already been invited to apply as Skilled worker and I'm filling out the Post-ITA application for PR. I noticed that in the section "Accompanying, PR Spouse Form" I also have to fill out my partner's 10 year work, address, and travel history (o_O) to submit. So, am I applying for both of us?

I've been searching around but can't find a clear answer. Is this what people mean by being a "principal applicant" or applying together means? I don't remember explicitly indicating that I was, but it would be really great if only one of us has to go through this pain!

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
I submitted my express entry profile with my spouse accompanying me. Now, I have been invited to apply. Does my spouse even need submit a PR application? He doesn't even have an pre-ITA application in the system yet.

We both have work permits and I have went ahead and filled out my pre-ITA paperwork months ago, but my spouse has been dragging their feet. I've already been invited to apply as Skilled worker and I'm filling out the Post-ITA application for PR. I noticed that in the section "Accompanying, PR Spouse Form" I also have to fill out my partner's 10 year work, address, and travel history (o_O) to submit. So, am I applying for both of us?

I've been searching around but can't find a clear answer. Is this what people mean by being a "principal applicant" or applying together means? I don't remember explicitly indicating that I was, but it would be really great if only one of us has to go through this pain!
Why a pain? Do you want your partner to process their application on their own?

jackham

Sep 25, 2022
I would totally understand filing separately if we both didn't have to submit the same information, but I'm confused why IIRC would make us both fill out and submit our 10 year histories separately so that ultimately IIRC gets the information twice. It made me feel like maybe I was submitted for both of us?

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
I would totally understand filing separately if we both didn't have to submit the same information, but I'm confused why IIRC would make us both fill out and submit our 10 year histories separately so that ultimately IIRC gets the information twice. It made me feel like maybe I was submitted for both of us?
You to enter the info for your partner's work history, address history. So you would have declared about your partner, you are the principal applicant in this case. So when you get PR your partner also gets it. No need to file for their PR again. Is this what you mean to ask or did I missed something?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

So, unless the rules are different for Express Entry PR applicants...you must disclose/declare that you have a spouse. If the rules ARE in fact different, move along; nothing more to read here.

If you become a PR and do not include your spouse in your PR application, you will likely never be able to sponsor him in the future. He would need to find a way to become a PR on his own. Further, if you do not declare (in your application) that you have a spouse, that would be misrepresentation on your part, which is never a good thing...especially when dealing with IRCC!

jackham

Sep 25, 2022
If you become a PR and do not include your spouse in your PR application, you will likely never be able to sponsor him in the future.
Thanks for your reply! He's already declared.

It sounds like what I'm hearing is "yes, you both have to submit the same information separately." :) thanks, all!