+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Accomodation and arriving to Canada

Jeltsin25

Mar 8, 2021
I will satrt classes on May 6th, 2024; and I am planning to buy my fkight ticket between this month and september to save some money. However, I haven't found a place to rent since most of the accomodation ads are for september intake. How adequeate is to buy my flight ticket that early and without having found accomodation? Should I wait until I find a place to decide when to go to Canada? Im looking for opinion from people who were in the same situation in the past. I would really appreciate your help. Thanks a lot in advance

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
I will satrt classes on May 6th, 2024; and I am planning to buy my fkight ticket between this month and september to save some money. However, I haven't found a place to rent since most of the accomodation ads are for september intake. How adequeate is to buy my flight ticket that early and without having found accomodation? Should I wait until I find a place to decide when to go to Canada? Im looking for opinion from people who were in the same situation in the past. I would really appreciate your help. Thanks a lot in advance
Generally it is not advisable to come to Canada more than 2-3 weeks before your classes start, CBSA will want proof that you can support yourself before classes start if you do. You will probably not see accommodations for a May intake becoming available until the previous intake has happened and closer to 1 month before your intake. It will also depend of you want off campus or are planning on being in residence if they have it. If you decide to book a flight now I wouldn't do it for before 2 weeks before classes start. Keep in mind the change fees if you have to change flight dates vs waiting until closer to your intake date to book a flight. April is not a peak time to travel to Canada as opposed to summer so you might still get good prices in March and April.

milon45

Star Member
Jul 10, 2023
Generally it is not advisable to come to Canada more than 2-3 weeks before your classes start, CBSA will want proof that you can support yourself before classes start if you do. You will probably not see accommodations for a May intake becoming available until the previous intake has happened and closer to 1 month before your intake. It will also depend of you want off campus or are planning on being in residence if they have it. If you decide to book a flight now I wouldn't do it for before 2 weeks before classes start concrete grinding boston. Keep in mind the change fees if you have to change flight dates vs waiting until closer to your intake date to book a flight. April is not a peak time to travel to Canada as opposed to summer so you might still get good prices in March and April.
Deciding when to buy a flight ticket and book accommodation for your upcoming studies can indeed be a bit of a balancing act. Here are some factors to consider:
Advantages of Booking Early:
  1. Cost Savings: Generally, flight tickets tend to be cheaper when booked well in advance. By booking your flight between this month and September, you might be able to take advantage of lower prices.
  2. Availability: Booking early ensures that you have a wider selection of flight options and seat choices.
  3. Peace of Mind: Having your flight ticket secured early can give you peace of mind and reduce last-minute stress.
Challenges of Booking Early:
  1. Accommodation: As you've mentioned, finding accommodation is crucial. It's usually easier to find housing closer to the start of the academic term, as landlords often time their listings to match the intake dates. Booking a flight without confirmed housing could potentially leave you scrambling to find a place upon arrival.
  2. Flexibility: If you book your flight early and then later find accommodation that is available slightly later than your planned arrival date, you might face some challenges in terms of timing.
What You Can Do:
  1. Research Accommodation: While most ads may be for September intake, it's possible that some landlords have flexible availability or might consider renting to students arriving in May. Reach out to potential landlords or housing providers and explain your situation. Some might be willing to work with you.
  2. Contact the University: Reach out to your university's housing or international student services office. They might be able to provide guidance on finding temporary accommodation or connecting with other students who might be arriving early and facing the same housing challenge.
  3. Flexible Flight Booking: If your budget allows, consider booking a flight with a flexible change policy. This way, if you do find suitable accommodation that slightly alters your plans, you can adjust your flight dates without significant fees.
  4. Temporary Housing: Investigate the availability of short-term housing options, such as hostels, Airbnb, or extended stay hotels. This can serve as a temporary solution while you continue your search for more permanent accommodation.
  5. Community Forums: Some universities or cities have online forums or social media groups where incoming students can connect and share advice. You might find someone in a similar situation who can provide insight or even offer temporary housing.
In conclusion, while booking your flight early can potentially save you money, the challenge lies in the accommodation aspect. If finding housing is a top priority for your comfort and stability, it might be worth waiting until you secure a place to stay before booking your flight. However, if you're open to potential temporary housing solutions and can manage some flexibility, booking your flight early might still work for you.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Generally it is not advisable to come to Canada more than 2-3 weeks before your classes start, CBSA will want proof that you can support yourself before classes start if you do. You will probably not see accommodations for a May intake becoming available until the previous intake has happened and closer to 1 month before your intake. It will also depend of you want off campus or are planning on being in residence if they have it. If you decide to book a flight now I wouldn't do it for before 2 weeks before classes start. Keep in mind the change fees if you have to change flight dates vs waiting until closer to your intake date to book a flight. April is not a peak time to travel to Canada as opposed to summer so you might still get good prices in March and April.
That's a load of BS. You can come anytime once your permit has been approved. you will of course have to show you meet the requirements to enter including having enough money to support yourself.

You will probably have a hard time finding accommodation while you are still away, mostly depending on where you are coming to.

My suggestion is to find some temporary accommodation (Hotel, Airbnb, etc.) for 1-2 weeks and look for places once you are here. You might be able to find someone willing to hold a room/place for you until you arrive but this will most likely not happen unless you're willing to send money upfront. Needless to say, you will put yourself in a position where you'd be the perfect target for a scam. If you ask me I wouldn't do it.

Get here, and find a place then. Start looking for places shortly before traveling and arrange times to see them as soon as you've landed. The housing/rental market in Canada is pretty tight so be prepared to struggle to find a place to live. Also, expect having to settle for something not great and spending a lot of money.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My suggestion is to find some temporary accommodation (Hotel, Airbnb, etc.) for 1-2 weeks and look for places once you are here.
Don't book your hotel one year in advance and you need to keep tracking. Otherwise, you might be in limbo in case of the hotel run out of business.

Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That's a load of BS. You can come anytime once your permit has been approved. you will of course have to show you meet the requirements to enter including having enough money to support yourself.

You will probably have a hard time finding accommodation while you are still away, mostly depending on where you are coming to.

My suggestion is to find some temporary accommodation (Hotel, Airbnb, etc.) for 1-2 weeks and look for places once you are here. You might be able to find someone willing to hold a room/place for you until you arrive but this will most likely not happen unless you're willing to send money upfront. Needless to say, you will put yourself in a position where you'd be the perfect target for a scam. If you ask me I wouldn't do it.

Get here, and find a place then. Start looking for places shortly before traveling and arrange times to see them as soon as you've landed. The housing/rental market in Canada is pretty tight so be prepared to struggle to find a place to live. Also, expect having to settle for something not great and spending a lot of money.
Students get denied entry if they come to Canada too early unless they have a very good reason, enough extra funds and aren’t too early. If you arrive too early it will be assumed that you are trying to work. If you have family in Canada coming up to a month early to visit may be justifiable but coming months early doesn’t make sense.
Would suggest researching the rental market in the city where you are studying. There are some cities which will never have enough rental stock to house all the students. This is especially the case when it comes to smaller communities.

Reactions: Canada2020eh

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Students get denied entry if they come to Canada too early unless they have a very good reason, enough extra funds and aren’t too early. If you arrive too early it will be assumed that you are trying to work. If you have family in Canada coming up to a month early to visit may be justifiable but coming months early doesn’t make sense.
Would suggest researching the rental market in the city where you are studying. There are some cities that will never have enough rental stock to house all the students. This is especially the case when it comes to smaller communities.
If your visa is valid you can effectively make your way to Canada immediately. There are no provisions indicating otherwise.

Of course, you will have to have a valid justification as to why you'd be getting here earlier than"usual" if you're entering the country 2, 3, or 4 months in advance. You will invariably have to go through an interview at the border before the study permit is even issued.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If your visa is valid you can effectively make your way to Canada immediately. There are no provisions indicating otherwise.

Of course, you will have to have a valid justification as to why you'd be getting here earlier than"usual" if you're entering the country 2, 3, or 4 months in advance. You will invariably have to go through an interview at the border before the study permit is even issued.
A valid visa doesn’t guarantee entry into a country. Most do not have a good reason to enter 6+ weeks before classes start.

Reactions: rcincanada2019