+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

9 months wait for eCOPR

mrsilencio

Mar 29, 2023
Hi

Applied for Spousal PR (Outland) on 7th November, 2022 while living in South Korea (I am a UK citizen), and received request for documents and COPR number on June 13th, 2023. As I had to leave for Canada, on a student visa, 2 weeks later, I requested a virtual landing.

Fast forward just short of 9 months and I have received no contact from IRCC. I sent numerous webforms, called even more, and MP's office have also contacted them 5/6 times. The webforms are all without a response, and the call centre at the IRCC says it's "in progress" and I should just wait. Same for the MP.

This has so far cost me around $15,000 due to having to pay international tuition fees, and I am losing my mind. There is zero transparency in the process and seemingly no understandable reason why one person receives eCOPR in a couple of weeks and another waits months.

I don't know how what else I can do.

Flyingfast

Feb 9, 2022
Hi

Applied for Spousal PR (Outland) on 7th November, 2022 while living in South Korea (I am a UK citizen), and received request for documents and COPR number on June 13th, 2023. As I had to leave for Canada, on a student visa, 2 weeks later, I requested a virtual landing.

Fast forward just short of 9 months and I have received no contact from IRCC. I sent numerous webforms, called even more, and MP's office have also contacted them 5/6 times. The webforms are all without a response, and the call centre at the IRCC says it's "in progress" and I should just wait. Same for the MP.

This has so far cost me around $15,000 due to having to pay international tuition fees, and I am losing my mind. There is zero transparency in the process and seemingly no understandable reason why one person receives eCOPR in a couple of weeks and another waits months.

A COPR number showing on the tracker does not mean your file is finished processing. No one made you come to Canada before the processing was finished, so you really can't be upset.

Reactions: canuck78

mrsilencio

Mar 29, 2023
A COPR number showing on the tracker does not mean your file is finished processing. No one made you come to Canada before the processing was finished, so you really can't be upset.
Right, so would have been better to live on an island in Korea with no job while my wife returned to her home country?

I was told my file was finished - they requested my passport and confirmed on the phone.

Why waste your time and mine with such an unhelpful reply?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi

Do you still have the passport request letter?

I'm at a loss to come up with other ideas other than pinging /asking the MP again and again. Minister's office, etc., etc - squeaky wheel.

I would also consider, despite how inconvenient, submitting the passport with the passport request letter. If the PPR gave an address in Ottawa where it could be sent - to there. If not, take it and submit at a VFS somewhere you could travel to (I'd say the UK but think the submissions there happen direct to the high commission, don't recall). Don't see why you couldn't have someone else submit it on your behalf, either. And then if you can get it back, you get it sent to you, travel to nearest place (eg drive across border) and turn around and 'land.' Of course I can't say for sure this would work.

I'm spitballing, of course. Note the PPR usually has a 'do this in 30 days' text but I've seen where the visa offices have ignored that, albeit usually with some 'extenuating circumstances' (which these are, of course).

Bottom line this has just gotten screwed up. How to shake it loose is the hard part. Sorry to hear you're going through this.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi

Are you applying to settle in Quebec? That may explain some of the long wait time. Othewise, I don't know what else you can do.