+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

7 Success Secrets for Canadian Immigrants

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
For those of us who are landing in Canada soon!

I read this from an article from Nick Noorani, Motivational Speaker, Speaker, Entrepreneur, and Immigrant Advocate speak at the Win2010 Symposium sponsored by the Newcomer Centre of Peel in Mississauga, Ontario.

Just a source of inspiration for those seeking a new life.

His 7 Success Secrets for Canadian Immigrants are:

1) Learn English - Many new immigrants speak English but they need to perfect their English to be well understand by English speaking Canadians and to excel in the Canadian workplace. Although one may speak English in his/her native country, it may not be at the same level as Canada. Be open to do what you can to improve your English Speaking skills - take upgrading courses, join Toastmasters, listen to English speaking talk stations including CBC radio and watch English news. Make friends with English speaking people and try to speak English as much as possible.

2) Stay Positive - Coming to Canada and finding work and integrating into a new society can be very challenging. The people who stay positive and look upon their new experiences in a positive light and a new adventure will be in a better situation. You will come across negative people in Canada as there are in every country - for every negative person you have in your life, you need to add a positive person. Surround yourself with positive people - there are many naysayers. These people are not going to help you. The positive people will help your attitude and your outlook.

3) Embrace Canada - You have made a big move to come to Canada - be a part of your new country and know as much as you can about it - whether it be news, sports or politics. This is your country now. Get involved in your community in Canada. Know about your sports teams - whether it is in basketball or hockey or others. Be able to talk at the water cooler about what is going on.

4) Have a Plan B - Everyone has his own skills and experience. One comes to Canada with the goals and hopes of working in a field that is similar to what you have done. To ensure that you are successful, one needs to have a Plan B and as some of the participants at the symposium said, you need to have a Plan C, D and E. Perhaps you may have another passion - it may be in a different career path or a second or third choice related to what you were originally chosen to do. Be open to the idea of taking another risk after doing your research first.

5) Stay Clear of ethnic - Silos - Immigrants who integrate into the Canadian workplace and Canadian life the best are those who make friends with people from all ethnic groups. Canada is a very mulit-cultural country. Don't limit yourself to be only with people from your native country or from your own language group. Be open to making friends with people from all religious and cultural groups.

6) Take risks - By deciding to come to Canada, you have take one of the biggest risks in your life. For that you should be congratulated. To continue your road to success, you need to keep an open mind to new ideas and possibilities. This may be a new business venture or a possible job opportunity for you to consider.

7) Volunteer, mentor, network - The way to finding work and succeeding in Canada is being involved in the community, volunteering with different professional associations, charities and causes that are important to you. This will build your network and your friendships/relationships that will help you in ensuring your success in Canada in the present and future time.

Hope it benefits all of us from these wise advice and hope we all succeed in our endeavours!

RPN

Star Member
Feb 13, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
June 2010
The post is really informative.

Thanks.

jeby

Jan 19, 2010
Kerala, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
15-12-2009
Med's Done....
11-01-2010
Passport Req..
15-12-2009
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2010
Thanks for posting. Very much encouraging to be +Ve.

hiamu

Star Member
Jul 12, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
16-09-2009
File Transfer...
22-09-2009
Med's Request
1FEB2010
Med's Done....
6FEB2010
Passport Req..
1FEB2010
VISA ISSUED...
23FEB2010
LANDED..........
11JUN2010
Thanks buddy for sharing this information..really helpful

Best Wishes
Hiamu

Mahender

May 23, 2010
Hi All,

I have received my Canadian Permanent Resident Visa recently few months back under Alberta

Provisional Nomination Program.

I have booked the ticket and planning to land in Calgary on May-31st Night, Can someone

provide me their mailing address to be provided to the authorites at airport.

So that my permanent resident card will be mailed by authorities to the address mentioned...I

will greatly appreciate your help for my life long!!!!.

Hoping for Quick Help!!!!!!!!!!.

Regards,
Mahender.
email : mahenderreddy8@gmail.com

poison

Mar 10, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
April 2010
LANDED..........
July 2010
Very nice post. Highly informative and motivational as well.

I have seen rigidity of some people when they migrate / long travel (study, business, job) to another country. They stick to what they are upto and then blame the local people!

Bottom line is: You have to be a Roman if you want to live in Rome! It does not mean that you have to completely adapt principles, culture and other things, but to certain extent, you need to if you want to succeed...

Once again, thanks a ton for such a nice post... and good luck to all of us...

Cheers..

cono_sur

Star Member
Feb 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Excellent write-up!

I can't say enough about #7 - when all else fails, your support group (friends, family, etc...) will be there to help. :)

shubash

May 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29th Nov'2009
Doc's Request.
6th Feb,2010
AOR Received.
10th December
File Transfer...
Feb'2010
Med's Request
28th June,2010
Med's Done....
27th July,2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
27th July,2010
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
not decided
Great piece of information! Thanks.....

cheguevera

Jun 7, 2010
hi there,

This post by abelkwh is a great one. I hope that he developed the following points further.

2) Stay Positive.
This is particularity true for the well educated and experienced immigrants. The fact that you dont have a Canadian experience will be a very big obstacle often used against you even though your experience cover everything else. At moment you will be very very disappointed. Things will get even worst when you see others doing the job you can do very well in a very unprofessional manner.
4) Have a Plan B
Have a lot of other plans and know them better than your plan A. Many of the the immigration settlement agencies will ask you about your plan B or C before asking you about your plan A. sadly, the plan B or C you will be asked about is dish washing, cashier, cook ...
5) Stay Clear of ethnic Silos
This will be a challenge for you. More than 70% of jobs in Canada are hidden and only discovered through connections. As a new immigrant who will be your first friends and connections. Obviously, the people you identify with and you will be tempted to limit yourself to these groups. The fact is, in Canada there are (ethnic) bias.As you will notice many immigrants are very good at it. Dont be tempted and as abelkwh suggested "Be open to making friends with people from all religious and cultural groups".

cheers

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
Well said and done, truly. Thank you for taking time to point out these 7 keys to succes being newbe in Canada.

Staying positive is the one that matters most. When you stay positive, you automatically tend to stay open to all new around you, being places and peoples or cultures. When you leave your " home" country behind, then leave behind all that was once annoying you and forget all about it. After all, you have indeed taken a risk by doing so and move away and there has been many reasons as to understand why you decided to move to a new place, like Canada, and to have it been called " home" for you. Stay open and positive. Back home, you 've seen many negativities and you ll surely will face those in a totally new concept and of a totally new version now in your new " home" too, but be alert and just ignore them. Being ignorant is also a good thing to carry on with all along with you when facing certain situations and/or encountering certain peoples.

I for one can speak of quite a few Canadians themselves, but also Americans, who are so negative about life in Canada and can tell me of how many rules and regulations are set there to punish the rich or people who want to be free, of how poor the integration of poor or shall I say less fortunate people and the above average resident has been in neighborhoods or at workplace etc. But these people, when you friend them and talk to them openly, will sure tell you of their own personal failures mostly due to their arrogance and personal limitations and now rejected to life around them. Avoid them, ignore them, don't care much about their feelings I shall say, but once you notice they are just living a boring, empty, colorless bland meaningless life, just avoid them.

Do not interact with people who are too busy dealing with money, expenses, materialities etc.

Put away your arrogance, leave behind your alter ego and be a new born one! such move is not only and not just a move, but also a " new beginning" a " new birth" , you ll be reborn and not many do get such chance. Be open, stay open and start from the beginning. IF you want to make money and have it more, bigger, better, you better stay where you are and work harder and have it all. But if you want to change your life and live it to the full, in a better more relaxed environment with more colors, more languages, more ideas and less people in comparison to many countries on this planet these days, just choose to live in Canada and be happy.

The best thing about such decision, regardless of your age is, that you ll be a teenager again, looking for ANY job and when your plan A doesn't work, then so be it and try plan B all the way to Z. somewhere along the road, you ll find something to rely on and to start with and improve your life every single day with little but meaningful improvements. You ll be there for sure, if you have confidence, smile and just happy.

Good luck to all! ;D

jeby

Jan 19, 2010
Kerala, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
15-12-2009
Med's Done....
11-01-2010
Passport Req..
15-12-2009
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2010
Dear CharlotteJ, it is an excellent posting!!!

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
You are most welcome.

Like I say, START AFRESH, no prides and prejudices (for the beginning at least if one find it hard to adjust both, LOL), but just go with the flow and see where you land. It won't hurt anyway and if proven wrong, one can always go back, which means: never burn all your ships and cut safety lines. :)