+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2 years out of last 5 . .. what about PR card renewal delays ?

sarimraza

May 23, 2012
Dear All

If i complete my 2 years and then apply for PR card, and right after applying i leave canada for some long vacation ---- |
i heard it takes the IO 4 months to renew the card -- so will the IO calculate 2 years from last five years, starting from my application date ?
OR
starting from the date they are ready to process my application (four months after receiving my application, and remember i am out of canada in these four months for vacation)?

Because in the two scenarios -- the days present in canada will differ . .. . .

Thanks

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
They will mostly look at 2 years out of the last 5 years from your application date (the date you signed your application).

Note that you must be able to maintain your RO during the entire processing of your application. So technically if you leave after applying and end up falling out of RO sometime after and CIC somehow finds out, they can deny your PR renewal.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sarimraza said:
Dear All

If i complete my 2 years and then apply for PR card, and right after applying i leave canada for some long vacation ---- |
i heard it takes the IO 4 months to renew the card -- so will the IO calculate 2 years from last five years, starting from my application date ?
OR
starting from the date they are ready to process my application (four months after receiving my application, and remember i am out of canada in these four months for vacation)?

Because in the two scenarios -- the days present in canada will differ . .. . .

Thanks
Your RO is ongoing so for safety reasons i.e. avoid being reported add as a minimum the 'vacation' time or preferably the 'current processing time' if longer to the 730 days as a buffer prior to applying. As a side issue how do you intend to re-enter Canada without a PR Card...unless a visitor visa exempt national then its PRTD or US/Canada land border re-entry with odds on for Secondary Inspection where they will have on file details of your application at day 731...and when did you leave Canada Sir/Maam will likely be one of the very first questions just to set the scene eh!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In order to meet the residency obligation, you must have 730 days in Canada in your first 5 years as a PR or if you have been a PR for more than 5 years, you always have to have 730 days in the past 5 years.

When you apply to renew your PR card, immigration will examine the 5 year period preceding your application date. However, if you in the meantime leave Canada for a vacation and re-enter again, not meeting the RO any more, you may get reported on entry and have to appeal for your PR.

barabashka

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
What if OP gets back to Canada without being reported and then goes to collect his/her PR card from CIC...Will CIC perform RO determination at the day of PR card collection?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
barabashka said:
What if OP gets back to Canada without being reported and then goes to collect his/her PR card from CIC...Will CIC perform RO determination at the day of PR card collection?
Playing with the RO, you can get lucky and get away with it or you can get burned and lose your PR. It is up to you what you do.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
barabashka said:
Having or not having a PR card has nothing to do with being in PR status... Of course you can collect your new PR card while falling out of PR status, but why would you want to risk that? After 5 years you might get lucky again and they let you in without reporting you, but you might not...