+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

YP Visa after a Working Holiday Visa as an Australian

Clancy

Jun 28, 2020
Hi, hope I'm posting this in the right spot!

I've been under the impression that I'll be able to get a Young Professionals Visa to follow up my current Working Holiday Visa as I meet all criteria. However, it appears that different countries have different rules etc for being able to obtain multiple IEC Visas and haven't been able to find anywhere whether or not as an Australian I'm eligible to obtain the YP Visa. Just hoping to get some clarity on this!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, hope I'm posting this in the right spot!

I've been under the impression that I'll be able to get a Young Professionals Visa to follow up my current Working Holiday Visa as I meet all criteria. However, it appears that different countries have different rules etc for being able to obtain multiple IEC Visas and haven't been able to find anywhere whether or not as an Australian I'm eligible to obtain the YP Visa. Just hoping to get some clarity on this!
The short answer to your question is no.

Official details are on the IRCC web site here:

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/eligibility.asp?country=au&cat=wh&#country_category_name_cont

Multiple participations are allowed but your second participation cannot be a YP visa. It has to be in the co-op category which has specific requirements.

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
The IEC rules are difficult to interpret, but as I understand them Australians (unlike other nationalities) get only one chance at IEC, either working holiday or young professionals. The exception is if you had a working holiday prior to 2015, then you can apparently apply for one more shot.

Clancy

Jun 28, 2020
That's a shame and throws a spanner in the works for sure - I'd interpreted it as being able to participate in the Young Professionals/Working Holiday once each. If anybody has experienced that at all I'd love to hear it haha! I guess then the only other shot I've got realistically would be to go through an LMIA Visa? I don't have a degree/2 years skilled work experience so I don't make up enough points to get through on express entry.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
That's a shame and throws a spanner in the works for sure - I'd interpreted it as being able to participate in the Young Professionals/Working Holiday once each. If anybody has experienced that at all I'd love to hear it haha! I guess then the only other shot I've got realistically would be to go through an LMIA Visa? I don't have a degree/2 years skilled work experience so I don't make up enough points to get through on express entry.
Unfortunately the rules for Australians are extremely clear. The second participation would have to be in the co-op stream. YP unfortunately isn't possible. No point even trying.

Yes - an LMIA would be one option for remaining in Canada and being able to work longer by switching to a closed work permit.

Have you looked into the PNP program in the province where you are working? Any chance you qualify under that?

Clancy

Jun 28, 2020
I've looked into the BC PNP program previously as my intention was to complete two years of skilled work under the Young Professionals program and then go onto PNP to apply for Permanent Residency, however I do not have 2 full years of previous work experience under the skilled occupation. My previous position was a Deli Clerk, which I held for over 9 consecutive months and have only just left a week ago. If I was to immediately restart at my old job would I still be eligible for the Semi-Skilled PNP? From my understanding it looks like doing Semi-Skilled wouldn't give me the points I'd need to boost up my application for residency which is my goal in the long term.

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
I'd say going back to Deli Clerking would be your best strategy. You need 10 to 20 fewer points to qualify for BCPNP ELSS than you would for skilled work. The entire PR process would have to be outside of Express Entry and would bind you to your current employer for a considerable length of time (up to 2 years), but from what you've told us so far I don't see another path forward - without starting over again in skilled work.

Clancy

Jun 28, 2020
Unfortunately my current visa expires October 28th this year so I'm not able to to start again in skilled work. I've just checked the Deli Clerk NOC Code (6421) against the list of eligible ELSS occupations and it doesn't appear as though it'll qualify. I'd say then my best bet would be to hopefully convince my new employer to obtain a positive LMIA I can be hired under for two years which would then make me eligible for Skilled BC PNP?

Thanks for all of the help, it's been a struggle figuring everything out and I really should have turned to this forum earlier! Given everything with COVID I'm going to be in a much better position staying here so I'm pretty desperate to figure out a way to make this work.

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
Interesting that 6421 is on the list of NOC codes that have been temporarily suspended, but not on the list of occupations eligible for ELSS.
To be eligible for skilled PNP, you have to work in a skilled position. If you continue in NOC 6421 (C) you will never qualify as a skilled worker.
If your employer is willing to apply for an LMIA on your behalf, see if you can get a promotion to a supervisory level. Otherwise it will be 2 years of employment with nothing to show for it from a PR point of view.
The Whistler expat community has a Facebook page with a lot of info on PR possibilities. Have you looked at it?

Clancy

Jun 28, 2020
I've just started a new job last week as a shift lead/supervisor for Main Street Noodles in Whistler which is a position that would qualify me as a skilled worker so if I'm able to get an LMIA through this job, after those two years I would then qualify for the skilled stream correct? It's my understanding that they temporarily suspended a lot of NOC codes related to hospitality/supervisory work but I was hoping that over the next two years that these codes would qualify again.

As for 6421 being suspended, could that potentially be for the Northeast Regions? It appears as though you're able to get on ESLL with any C or D code out there.

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
I hadn't thought about the Northeast ELSS. I'm sure you're right.
After a year working as a supervisor, you'd be eligible for Canadian Experience Class, but not likely to get enough CRS points to get an invitation. A second year of Canadian work experience might put you over the top, but if not then you would qualify for a PNP application.