+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Your experience can help me :) Thanks!

Orange1234

Nov 16, 2013
Greetings!

If someone out there was in a similar experience, or has the knowledge to help, I would really appreciate your guidance!

A few years ago I (Canadian) moved to the Netherlands and met a girl. We never lived together, and decided that in July, 2012 we would move to Canada. I have Canadian citizenship, and she only has Dutch citizenship. We arrived in Canada and started living together in July, 2012. Also important to note that she decided to get a "working holiday visa" so she could work and keep busy while we lived together for a year to meet the common law eligibility terms.

In July, 2013, we plan to apply for the common law visa as at that time, we will have lived together for a year. At this time, her working holiday visa will expire. I know we can extend a travel visa for her at that time, but does anyone know if it's possible to obtain some sort of work permit in the mean time.

She is a high school chemistry teacher, so a positive LMO is out of the question ;) She's certified by the Ontario College of Teachers, but we recognize there is NO WAY she will get a positive LMO with the current surplus of teachers.

If anyone has any advice or information about the process of obtaining a temporary work visa while we wait for her common law visa, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Do you mean that you arrived in July 2013?

I wonder if she can apply for an open work permit (OWP), that wouldn't require the LMO, when you submit your common law sponsorship application.

The caveat to that would be that it takes ~11 months for the stage 1 approval (sponsor is approved), for an Inland application and the OWP is only issued
after that stage has been reached.

Since I'm still a newbie here, take this with a grain of salt. :-\

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Orange1234 said:
Greetings!

If someone out there was in a similar experience, or has the knowledge to help, I would really appreciate your guidance!

A few years ago I (Canadian) moved to the Netherlands and met a girl. We never lived together, and decided that in July, 2012 we would move to Canada. I have Canadian citizenship, and she only has Dutch citizenship. We arrived in Canada and started living together in July, 2012. Also important to note that she decided to get a "working holiday visa" so she could work and keep busy while we lived together for a year to meet the common law eligibility terms.

In July, 2013, we plan to apply for the common law visa as at that time, we will have lived together for a year. At this time, her working holiday visa will expire. I know we can extend a travel visa for her at that time, but does anyone know if it's possible to obtain some sort of work permit in the mean time.

She is a high school chemistry teacher, so a positive LMO is out of the question ;) She's certified by the Ontario College of Teachers, but we recognize there is NO WAY she will get a positive LMO with the current surplus of teachers.

If anyone has any advice or information about the process of obtaining a temporary work visa while we wait for her common law visa, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time.
Hi, perhaps you mean you guys arrived July 2013 so will become common-law in July 2014?

If you apply via the inland process, she can submit an OWP app with her PR app, but based on current times this will require waiting 11 months for the OWP. Then up to another 8 months or so for full PR, during which time you are not supposed to leave Canada at all.

If you apply outland through the Vienna office, there is no OWP app but you could hopefully get full PR in around 1 year, so it's around the same time of stage 1 approval for inland. This is usually the preffered method for visa-exempt applicants.

Either way, there is no way to work for around a year. She would need to get work via the LMO process (which you say is unlikely), or you could look at applying for any additional work visa programs she may be eligible for as a Dutch citizen after her current working holiday status is over.

Orange1234

Nov 16, 2013
Thanks for clarifying - we arrive July 2013 and will apply for common law July 2014.

If the outland application is much faster as you suggest (in Vienna), are we allowed to apply for the common law visa even if she is living with me in Canada. We can fly her over to Vienna for whatever interviews/steps are necessary. Do you know how many times one has to visit the embassy when applying outland?

Thanks and regards. Very kind that you are willing to share.

DuberBlue

Sep 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2013
AOR Received.
13-03-2013
Med's Done....
18-12-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2013
LANDED..........
26-10-2013
Orange1234 said:
Thanks for clarifying - we arrive July 2013 and will apply for common law July 2014.

If the outland application is much faster as you suggest (in Vienna), are we allowed to apply for the common law visa even if she is living with me in Canada. We can fly her over to Vienna for whatever interviews/steps are necessary. Do you know how many times one has to visit the embassy when applying outland?
Possibly never :)

Holland is a visa-exempt country so you shouldn't ever have to drop off/pick up a passport there (by the time it gets to that stage of the app they will probably only ask you for a COPY of your passport) and most of your dealings would be through regular mail or email. If you are called for an interview, that's really the only time you will have to go somewhere -- Vienna, in this case.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Orange1234 said:

Thanks and regards. Very kind that you are willing to share.
Yes you can apply outland through Vienna office, even if both of you are currently living here. She would need to maintain visitor status in Canada during the application time. Usually this is pretty easy for visa exempt applicants.

She would only need to travel to Europe for an interview if they suspected the relationship was not genuine, or if you had a weak application with lots of red flags. In the majority of applications, no interview is required so there is no need to ever travel. She would also need to find ways to get police check and any other personal docs required from Netherlands.

You should really post questions regarding times and processes through Vienna office, to this thread: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/vienna-office-t74361.4050.html . You will get more detailed info specific to Vienna VO.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Orange1234 said:
Greetings!

Thanks for your time.

Hello, and welcome :)

She could apply for the Young Professionals category for the following year. As a Dutch citizen, she may participate "in International Experience Canada only twice and each time in a different category." Take a look at http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/netherlands-pays_bas/experience_canada_experience/working_holiday-vacances_travail.aspx?view=d

On a separate note, I don't know where in Canada you're in, but if she's missing cheese and other goodies, there's a farm in NS - That Dutchman's Farm - that makes and ships kaas and smeerkaas (they also sometimes have speculaas, drop, stroopwafels, hagelslag, muisjes, etc.)