+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative becomes a permanent resident" - Is this enforced?

Pumita

Apr 6, 2020
Here's our situation, my spouse is English, I am a Canadian citizien. She spent a year of her studies in Canada previously and is also just about wrapping up her two year working Visa here in BC. We've been together for 3.5 years, and have lived together for two.

We were planning on spending some time in England with her family. Things are tight due to COVID-19, it looks like I can't really go to England and she needs to stay here - anyway, it's complicated, but it would be really awesome to kill two birds with one stone and get her PR as well as be able to have her continue working here on implied status for a few months until I can safely fly to the UK. It looks like she can't go through CEC because it takes too long to get her University degree equivalency credits, so spousal seems like the only option right now.

Story aside - my question is: my girlfriend and I plan to travel for the next 2-4 years and live in different countries to experience them. I intend to live in the UK with her for a few months, and she really wants to do a working visa in New Zealand. We do intend to live in Canada afterward, but I don't really know how long we'll be traveling abroad for.

Let's say we fill out the form and write that we intend to stay in Canada when gets PR, but we're halfway through a working Visa in New Zealand when it actually goes through, can the PR be revoked if we don't drop our stuff and come back right away? Or is it okay to just let it simmer for a year or so and then come back after we finish travelling around?

Thanks a lot!
Pete

EDIT: I just realized, this is meant for Spousal sponsorship not family class

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Here's our situation, my spouse is English, I am a Canadian citizien. She spent a year of her studies in Canada previously and is also just about wrapping up her two year working Visa here in BC. We've been together for 3.5 years, and have lived together for two.

We were planning on spending some time in England with her family. Things are tight due to COVID-19, it looks like I can't really go to England and she needs to stay here - anyway, it's complicated, but it would be really awesome to kill two birds with one stone and get her PR as well as be able to have her continue working here on implied status for a few months until I can safely fly to the UK. It looks like she can't go through CEC because it takes too long to get her University degree equivalency credits, so spousal seems like the only option right now.

Story aside - my question is: my girlfriend and I plan to travel for the next 2-4 years and live in different countries to experience them. I intend to live in the UK with her for a few months, and she really wants to do a working visa in New Zealand. We do intend to live in Canada afterward, but I don't really know how long we'll be traveling abroad for.

Let's say we fill out the form and write that we intend to stay in Canada when gets PR, but we're halfway through a working Visa in New Zealand when it actually goes through, can the PR be revoked if we don't drop our stuff and come back right away? Or is it okay to just let it simmer for a year or so and then come back after we finish travelling around?

Thanks a lot!
Pete

EDIT: I just realized, this is meant for Spousal sponsorship not family class
LYou actually have to provide quite a lot of proof that you will move back to Canada soon after getting PR since so many people didn’t.

Pumita

Apr 6, 2020
LYou actually have to provide quite a lot of proof that you will move back to Canada soon after getting PR since so many people didn’t.
Good to know, thanks for the reply. I think we could get enough proof - my partner has really good working relationships with the employers she's worked with / is working with - I'm sure they would write letters saying they would take her back x date. Do you have any idea though, whether they could actually revoke the PR if we don't come back for a year or so after it's been approved?

claurianta

Jul 10, 2007
They can re
Good to know, thanks for the reply. I think we could get enough proof - my partner has really good working relationships with the employers she's worked with / is working with - I'm sure they would write letters saying they would take her back x date. Do you have any idea though, whether they could actually revoke the PR if we don't come back for a year or so after it's been approved?
Thet can revoke the PR if there is evidence that she, or both of you, misrepresented your intentions when you applied for the PR. If you say you're coming back as soon as you get the PR, but have no intention of actually doing so, that's misrepresentation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You will need more than that. Evidence that you have taken steps to leave your current location, that you have concrete plans when moving back to Canada. If you have a working visa for New Zealand you will have to convince CIC that you will not completing the working visa. It would be much better to apply when you actually plan on returning.