+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Yay Approved but I have a question.

Tuirrenn

Mar 20, 2011
I have finally been approved for PR after 9 months from date of submission of documents and have my COPR, so far so good right?

The only problem I have now is that the date of birth shown on my COPR(Imm 5688) is out by one year, which also explains why I couldn't log into e-cas with my correct DOB, the incorrect one lets me log in no problems.

My question is what should I do about this, does it matter? I don't want to show up at a Canadian Airport Immigration desk and be rejected for what is obviously a clerical error, I have copies of everything we submitted, and at no point was my DOB mistakenly entered.

I have emailed the London office but no reply yet.

I have looked for this online but can't find any relevant advice for this on CIC's website. There are forms for changing imm 5688 after you have landed but none seem to apply to folk like me who haven't landed yet and are not in Canada.

Thank you in advance for any insights :)

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
Mississauga: May 10, Mexico: June 4
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
I wouldn't worry about it. It's an obvious error. They probably won't even notice and won't turn you away because of it. Congrats on your visa!

Tuirrenn

Mar 20, 2011
canadiangirl78 said:
I wouldn't worry about it. It's an obvious error. They probably won't even notice and won't turn you away because of it. Congrats on your visa!
Thanks a lot, thats what I thought, just wanted some reassurance, or a pointer to instructions as to what to do :)

vivi2

May 4, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Damascus-Ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar-2011
AOR Received.
Apr-2011
Med's Done....
Feb-2011
Passport Req..
Sep-2012
LANDED..........
SOON :)
First of all congratulations :)
Actually I think DOB is important, if it was eye colour and height maybe not that important, but DOB is something important. When I landed as a PR 2 years ago along with my visa and COPR there was a set of instructions noting that I should inform the visa office if any of the information in COPR is not correct. And when I landed for the first time the immigration officer at the airport asked me again if all the information on the COPR is right and I said yes and I was told to sign a few places.
In my opinion I don't think they will turn someone away at the airport because of a mistake like this but I think you should inform them. The same date of birth will be printed on your PR card I guess, if this had happened to me I would definitely inform them.
Best wishes

Tuirrenn

Mar 20, 2011
Thanks vivi2.

I have emailed them with the information, just want get over and be with my darling wife, Skype etc are all well and good but its not quite the same as being there.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you really should try to get them to correct your CoPR before you land so that there aren't any questions that the CoPR is yours (especially if you are from a visa exempt country and don't have a visa in your passport).

If you can't wait for some reason, make sure that the officer at the border updates it both on paper and electronically. You don't want to have issues later on when you try to naturalize since CIC thinks your DOB is off by a year (they will have trouble finding you, just as you couldn't get eCase to find you)

Have you sent them a case specific enquiry? Are you close enough to try stopping by?

Tuirrenn

Mar 20, 2011
Thanks OhCanadiana,

Yes I have sent them a CSI, using the form on CIC's website, unfortunately I don't live anywhere near London, I live in Ireland and would have to fly over.

All other details on my form match including my passport number and photograph.

Thanks again

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tuirrenn said:
Thanks OhCanadiana,

Yes I have sent them a CSI, using the form on CIC's website, unfortunately I don't live anywhere near London, I live in Ireland and would have to fly over.

All other details on my form match including my passport number and photograph.

Thanks again
You're welcome. Hopefully they respond soon. I know the wait can be excruciating - hang in there!