+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

YAY! An update on our sponsorship. Is this the end?

PaperLantern

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-12-2018
Ok so we received an email in my wife's inbox today from CIC. We had received a letter stating that her application was being transferred to Mississuaga in April and then nothing was updated until today. The letter says;

"The processing of your application for permanent residence in Canada is almost complete. You must complete the following steps within 30 days in order for our office to issue your Confirmation of Permanent Residence and, if applicable, permanent residence visa. If for any reason you are not able to meet this deadline, please inform us immediately with details concerning your situation."

Does this mean her PR application was accepted? It's weird because we just checked her CIC account and it still says "We are reviewing whether you meet the application requirements", "We are processing your background check" and "We will message you when a decision has been made".

Also, it says to send her passport if she requires a visa to visit Canada but she's a US citizen. Does this apply? We are taking the letter to the border tomorrow to ask questions but any advice would be appreciated!

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Ok so we received an email in my wife's inbox today from CIC. We had received a letter stating that her application was being transferred to Mississuaga in April and then nothing was updated until today. The letter says;

"The processing of your application for permanent residence in Canada is almost complete. You must complete the following steps within 30 days in order for our office to issue your Confirmation of Permanent Residence and, if applicable, permanent residence visa. If for any reason you are not able to meet this deadline, please inform us immediately with details concerning your situation."

Does this mean her PR application was accepted? It's weird because we just checked her CIC account and it still says "We are reviewing whether you meet the application requirements", "We are processing your background check" and "We will message you when
GCKEY etc is always slow to update, it's good news.

Reactions: PaperLantern

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017

Does this mean her PR application was accepted? It's weird because we just checked her CIC account and it still says "We are reviewing whether you meet the application requirements", "We are processing your background check" and "We will message you when a decision has been made".

Also, it says to send her passport if she requires a visa to visit Canada but she's a US citizen. Does this apply? We are taking the letter to the border tomorrow to ask questions but any advice would be appreciated!
From what you are saying, this is the 'passport request' letter that the VO sends as the final step before issuing the CoPR. They would not be asking for this unless she was already 'approved'. This doesn't surprise me given your timeline, as Mississauga are normally VERY much quicker than the very busy VO's like London.

Unfortunately, they use a standard wording for all passport requests.

If you read that wording carefully, I think you will spot an 'IF' statement in there, basically saying (paraphrasing hugely here) IF you need a visa then we want the original passport, but if you don't normally need a visa (i.e. from a visa-exempt country like the US), then send us a copy of the 'biographical' pages (i.e. the pages with the information on it, esp passport numbers, start and expiry dates - they need this as the include passport information on the CoPR and want to make sure they have her latest passport and the one she will be taking with her when she 'lands'.

Reactions: paint.thinner