+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wrong name in the COPR

Russell Gomes

Aug 28, 2009
I landed a couple of weeks back with my family (Wife and 2 sons) the landing was smooth and all were very friendly. The problem was first brought to our notice when we went to the Service Canada office for completing the formalities for the SIN Card. We were told that the names of my sons on the COPR form did not show a surname (Passport also only shows a given name and no surname). They said that they cannot process their SIN Cards, without a surname, and also the same with the PR Cards. Just today we received only the PR Cards of myself and my wife.

My question is how can I process for the PR Card without a surname in the passport (we are Indian Passport holders). Should I chane the names in their passport to indicate a surname.

Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Russell Gomes said:
I landed a couple of weeks back with my family (Wife and 2 sons) the landing was smooth and all were very friendly. The problem was first brought to our notice when we went to the Service Canada office for completing the formalities for the SIN Card. We were told that the names of my sons on the COPR form did not show a surname (Passport also only shows a given name and no surname). They said that they cannot process their SIN Cards, without a surname, and also the same with the PR Cards. Just today we received only the PR Cards of myself and my wife.

My question is how can I process for the PR Card without a surname in the passport (we are Indian Passport holders). Should I chane the names in their passport to indicate a surname.

Thanks.
Service Canada is wrong. Not everyone has a surname. Nepalis, Indonesians usually only have one name. Sikhs usually have a given name and either Kaur or Singh. The Federal court has previously ruled that they are not required to add a surname or Goptke.

Marysom

Aug 19, 2011
can you please tell me that what date you were landed?? and how many days it took to get the PR card??? as i am waiting for my card and planning to travel....