+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Would my partner and I be qualified for common-law sponsorship?

Mintachip

Mar 10, 2022
Hi! I apologize if this is posted in the wrong topic. My SO and I have been looking into common-law sponsorship and would like to start this process ASAP. He is currently with me in Canada as a visitor from the UK, but we live with my parents rent-free. I was wondering if this particular living situation would eventually qualify us as common-law partners after we reach 12 consecutive months together? Or would we only qualify if we live in a place together signed under both our names? Also, is it possible for a foreigner to own/rent property as a visitor?

I know the govt website lists ways to prove common-law status, but we do not yet share any bills/property and he does not have documentation that shows we live at the same address. We do, however, have plenty of evidence to prove that we are in a legitimate and committed relationship. I plan to look for a place and move out sometime in the fall after I graduate university this spring and would then add his name to the lease if this is allowed.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi! I apologize if this is posted in the wrong topic. My SO and I have been looking into common-law sponsorship and would like to start this process ASAP. He is currently with me in Canada as a visitor from the UK, but we live with my parents rent-free. I was wondering if this particular living situation would eventually qualify us as common-law partners after we reach 12 consecutive months together? Or would we only qualify if we live in a place together signed under both our names? Also, is it possible for a foreigner to own/rent property as a visitor?

I know the govt website lists ways to prove common-law status, but we do not yet share any bills/property and he does not have documentation that shows we live at the same address. We do, however, have plenty of evidence to prove that we are in a legitimate and committed relationship. I plan to look for a place and move out sometime in the fall after I graduate university this spring and would then add his name to the lease if this is allowed.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!
You can live with your parents and achieve common law status. However you must have evidence to prove the 1 year of continuous cohabitation. This is very important in order to be approved as common law. You should set up joint accounts asap, maybe get a joint credit card and also a shared cell phone plan / bill that shows the same address. Make sure you both have the same address in any paperwork with your schools and/or employers. You should also get an affidavit (once you are ready to apply) from your parents confirming that you lived at their place together for one year continuously. However this alone won't be enough evidence and you'll want other evidence that dates back a full year from the time you apply (like the joint bank statements, credits cards, bills, etc.).

Relationship evidnece just shows you are in a relationship. It doesn't prove common law.

Mintachip

Mar 10, 2022
You can live with your parents and achieve common law status. However you must have evidence to prove the 1 year of continuous cohabitation. This is very important in order to be approved as common law. You should set up joint accounts asap, maybe get a joint credit card and also a shared cell phone plan / bill that shows the same address. Make sure you both have the same address in any paperwork with your schools and/or employers. You should also get an affidavit (once you are ready to apply) from your parents confirming that you lived at their place together for one year continuously. However this alone won't be enough evidence and you'll want other evidence that dates back a full year from the time you apply (like the joint bank statements, credits cards, bills, etc.).

Relationship evidnece just shows you are in a relationship. It doesn't prove common law.
Thank you so much! We plan to travel to England for a month in May. Would this period of time being gone from Canada "reset" the time we've lived together for?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you so much! We plan to travel to England for a month in May. Would this period of time being gone from Canada "reset" the time we've lived together for?
It won't as long as you can prove you continued to cohabitate during this time. So assuming you stay at a hotel or airbnb, you want to make sure both of your names are listed on the reservation.

Mintachip

Mar 10, 2022
It won't as long as you can prove you continued to cohabitate during this time. So assuming you stay at a hotel or airbnb, you want to make sure both of your names are listed on the reservation.
Great to hear! I've been looking into opening a joint bank account but it seems many institutions require my partner to be Canadian or to be able to file taxes here. Would you know of any ways to go about this or other options besides having a joint bank account? And in regards to a shared phone plan, would it also be okay if he were to purchase his own plan to be billed under my address (or is it better that we share a plan)?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Great to hear! I've been looking into opening a joint bank account but it seems many institutions require my partner to be Canadian or to be able to file taxes here. Would you know of any ways to go about this or other options besides having a joint bank account? And in regards to a shared phone plan, would it also be okay if he were to purchase his own plan to be billed under my address (or is it better that we share a plan)?
Doesn't have to be a joint cell phone plan.