+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Would love some advice: inland vs outland

Serenn7

Dec 1, 2018
Hi all, hope youre doing well!

Love this forum and its been so useful browsing through all the threads. I would love some advice on our current situation!

Im Dutch and my boyfriend is Canadian. We lived in Canada for a year, then a year in Holland and now we are traveling through Asia and we want to move back to Canada next year.

We're in doubt over the inland vs outland application. I can go to Canada in January and apply for inland, but not really looking forward to just staying home all day while waiting for the open-work permit? How have you guys experienced that on an inland app? Are we allowed to do a workaway stay for example?

Another option is for me to stay home and work a bit until outland app comes back positive. Does anyone now long this takes? With outland - do you also apply for an open-work permit? Can I travel while the outland app is processing? I'm thinking of maybe staying in Asia while the outland app processes. Does anyone how that would work with the interview? Is an interview always required?

Thanks so much in advance! Have a great day!

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
if you are not looking forward to just staying home all day while waiting for the open-work permit (OWP)....then don't consider inland....OWP takes 4 months.....with inland applicant is expected to live in Canada while apps is been processed.

you can't apply for OWP with outland....you can travel anywhere while apps is been processed.

interview is not always required if your apps supporting documents proof your marriage/relationship is genuine.

inland or outland....processing time is around 12 months

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Hi all, hope youre doing well!

Love this forum and its been so useful browsing through all the threads. I would love some advice on our current situation!

Im Dutch and my boyfriend is Canadian. We lived in Canada for a year, then a year in Holland and now we are traveling through Asia and we want to move back to Canada next year.

We're in doubt over the inland vs outland application. I can go to Canada in January and apply for inland, but not really looking forward to just staying home all day while waiting for the open-work permit? How have you guys experienced that on an inland app? Are we allowed to do a workaway stay for example?

Another option is for me to stay home and work a bit until outland app comes back positive. Does anyone now long this takes? With outland - do you also apply for an open-work permit? Can I travel while the outland app is processing? I'm thinking of maybe staying in Asia while the outland app processes. Does anyone how that would work with the interview? Is an interview always required?

Thanks so much in advance! Have a great day!
No one can make this decision for you. The distinguishing factors:

Inland: both applicant and sponsor must be inside Canada at the time of submission. You can apply for the OWP alongside the inland application. The OWP however is part of a pilot program that they have not announced they are renewing (mind you, they always wait until the last minute to do so). Travel outside of Canada is not recommended on an inland application - if you are denied re-entry by CBSA, you application will be abandoned. That said, many applicants have taken short trips with no issues (pending you meet admissibility requirements you should be granted re-entry, but never guaranteed). There is no appeal option on the inland application. Inland applications are processed consistently at the 11 to 12 month mark.

Outland: applicant and sponsor can be living inside Canada, living apart internationally, living together internationally. Travel is fine. If you're inside Canada you must maintain valid status throughout processing (like having a valid visitor visa). There is no OWP option. There is an appeal option if denied. Outland processing generally tends to be faster than inland, but not always, and falls under the same 12 month processing target.

Serenn7

Dec 1, 2018
if you are not looking forward to just staying home all day while waiting for the open-work permit (OWP)....then don't consider inland....OWP takes 4 months.....with inland applicant is expected to live in Canada while apps is been processed.

you can't apply for OWP with outland....you can travel anywhere while apps is been processed.

interview is not always required if your apps supporting documents proof your marriage/relationship is genuine.

inland or outland....processing time is around 12 months
Thank you!! So if my goal is to start working in Canada asap it is probably better to do inland and wait for the OWP. It seems that if I stay in Holland or go travel and apply for outland, I would be waiting up to 12 monts whereas OWP is 'only' up to 4 months.

Thanks again!

Serenn7

Dec 1, 2018
No one can make this decision for you. The distinguishing factors:

Inland: both applicant and sponsor must be inside Canada at the time of submission. You can apply for the OWP alongside the inland application. The OWP however is part of a pilot program that they have not announced they are renewing (mind you, they always wait until the last minute to do so). Travel outside of Canada is not recommended on an inland application - if you are denied re-entry by CBSA, you application will be abandoned. That said, many applicants have taken short trips with no issues (pending you meet admissibility requirements you should be granted re-entry, but never guaranteed). There is no appeal option on the inland application. Inland applications are processed consistently at the 11 to 12 month mark.

Outland: applicant and sponsor can be living inside Canada, living apart internationally, living together internationally. Travel is fine. If you're inside Canada you must maintain valid status throughout processing (like having a valid visitor visa). There is no OWP option. There is an appeal option if denied. Outland processing generally tends to be faster than inland, but not always, and falls under the same 12 month processing target.
Thank you!! I did not know there was no OWP option for outland.

So if I have a valid eta for lets say six months, I apply for inland, and then go travel until my OWP is approved, I should be able to enter Canada again without any problems?

Do you maybe know if we are allowed to do volunteer work on a visitor visa?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you!! I did not know there was no OWP option for outland.

So if I have a valid eta for lets say six months, I apply for inland, and then go travel until my OWP is approved, I should be able to enter Canada again without any problems?

Do you maybe know if we are allowed to do volunteer work on a visitor visa?
You should not go travel outside of Canada if you apply inland. You are required to live in Canada with your partner throughout the whole process.

Yes, you can volunteer, as long as you are not doing something that other people at the same place are being paid for.

Serenn7

Dec 1, 2018
You should not go travel outside of Canada if you apply inland. You are required to live in Canada with your partner throughout the whole process.

Yes, you can volunteer, as long as you are not doing something that other people at the same place are being paid for.
Thank you! This forum and all of your answers are so helpful. It looks like inland is the easiest/fastest way to go and hopefully I can find some awesome volunteer work to keep myself busy and most of all useful while waiting on my OWP :)