+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Would it help to attach an endorsement from my MP?

flx2015

Champion Member
Jul 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Dec-2015
Doc's Request.
16-Sept-2016
Med's Request
16-Sept-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-Oct-2016
My family is well acquainted with the MP in our area, and my father suggested that it might be a good idea to get a letter of endorsement from him and send it along with my spousal sponsorship application. He knows me personally and can vouch for my character, and he also knows that my marriage is genuine (which is one of the things I need to prove to CIC anyway). Would this help with my application or will the CIC ignore the letter completely?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
It would treated the same as a letter from a friend or family member. The fact that it is your MP writing it wouldn't count for anything.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
I agree that the fact it is a letter from an MP won't make any difference, but I would still include it if you can get one. Letters from people who know you, stating that they believe the relationship is genuine, are just one part of the evidence you need.

flx2015

Champion Member
Jul 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Dec-2015
Doc's Request.
16-Sept-2016
Med's Request
16-Sept-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-Oct-2016
canuck_in_uk said:
The fact that it is your MP writing it wouldn't count for anything.
But why? Shouldn't a character reference from a professional (especially an MP) be worth more? If he were to get caught lying, then that would reflect badly on him. Public opinion really matters for politicians.

Allow me to give you an extreme example just for the sake of making a point: supposing Harper himself wrote a letter for me assuring CIC that my marriage is genuine, wouldn't that count for something? Exactly how prominent does a person have to be in order for their character reference to be worth something?

rambopg

Apr 30, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
25-Jun-2015
File Transfer...
07-Jul-2015
Med's Request
25-Apr-2016
Med's Done....
24-May-2016
Passport Req..
14-Jun-2016
VISA ISSUED...
29-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
1-Jul-2016
flx2015 said:
But why? Shouldn't a character reference from a professional (especially an MP) be worth more? If he were to get caught lying, then that would reflect badly on him. Public opinion really matters for politicians.

Allow me to give you an extreme example just for the sake of making a point: supposing Harper himself wrote a letter for me assuring CIC that my marriage is genuine, wouldn't that count for something? Exactly how prominent does a person have to be in order for their character reference to be worth something?
That's the beauty of Canada. A letter from even a close friend or family relative will be as much worth as a letter from an MP!
And if Harper wrote you a reference letter, CIC would scrutinize even more considering the Duffy scandal :p hehe

flx2015

Champion Member
Jul 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Dec-2015
Doc's Request.
16-Sept-2016
Med's Request
16-Sept-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-Oct-2016
rambopg said:
That's the beauty of Canada.
You'd realize the true beauty of Canada if you knew how much power the top 1% of this country held in the palm of their hands. If I were among that 1%, I wouldn't be here asking for advice on how to convince a bunch of strangers to let my wife and I live together.

Galano1213

Jun 30, 2013
PEI
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana Cuba
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Med's Done....
23-04-2014
Being in the top 1% wouldn't make a bit of difference in processing your application. Everyone goes through it no matter who you are. After all it is Canada and it is what it is .

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Letters from professionals can carry a bit more weight - for example, a letter from your doctor, your dentist, a religious leader, etc. who knows the couple and believes the marriage to be genuine is a good thing to have. If they don't know the couple well, though, or only know one side, it wouldn't help much. (I would still include it.) Letters from friends and family who know the couple well are worth more.

flx2015

Champion Member
Jul 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Dec-2015
Doc's Request.
16-Sept-2016
Med's Request
16-Sept-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-Oct-2016
canadianwoman said:
Letters from professionals can carry a bit more weight - for example, a letter from your doctor, your dentist, a religious leader, etc. who knows the couple and believes the marriage to be genuine is a good thing to have. If they don't know the couple well, though, or only know one side, it wouldn't help much. (I would still include it.) Letters from friends and family who know the couple well are worth more.
I see, that would make sense. I had completely forgotten that it's not just me who's being examined, but also my wife who will be most likely be examined more closely as she's the one who's immigrating. The MP in question only knows me, and not my wife, so I guess it'd a better idea to instead include a letter from one of my uncles who attended the wedding and knows both of us personally even before we met.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
flx2015 said:

CIC doesn't want character references. They want letters from people who know both you and your wife, have been around the two of you together and can attest to your genuine relationship.

They don't give preference to those who "know people". Everyone has to pass the same checks.

M

mikeymyke

The letters that are worth sending are the ones from people who have been with the BOTH of you, because these people are able to attest to the genuineness of your relationship.