+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Would I be considered self-employed if I bring my virtual full time job with me

darshanfj

Jan 8, 2024
Hello, I am at the very, very beginning of my research, but I am wondering if I would be classified as self-employed, if I have a full time virtual job I will bring with me. I work full time for an organization, and I work from home, so I can be anywhere in the world. We gave up our offices during COVID and we all work virtually. Is this considered self-employed?

further, our organization is starting a nonprofit in Canada and I would be at the helm of this. After we are situated, i would eventually be earning from the Canadian organization instead of the US one, but I expect that to take a couple of years.

Grateful for your insight.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello, I am at the very, very beginning of my research, but I am wondering if I would be classified as self-employed, if I have a full time virtual job I will bring with me. I work full time for an organization, and I work from home, so I can be anywhere in the world. We gave up our offices during COVID and we all work virtually. Is this considered self-employed?

further, our organization is starting a nonprofit in Canada and I would be at the helm of this. After we are situated, i would eventually be earning from the Canadian organization instead of the US one, but I expect that to take a couple of years.

Grateful for your insight.
What permit are you coming to Canada on?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I'm not sure. Express Entry? Is that a permit? I am going to be applying for permanent residency. I believe I don't need a visa for the first 6 months because I carry a UK passport.
Applying for PR. So what is your eligibility score for EE and your CRS score with your ECA and IELTS? For EE, profile your NOC matches your job responsibilities. It can be self employed. You are posting under Business Immigration so you are not coming to Canada to set up a business.

Last edited: