+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Worried my marriage is going to hurt my application.

Trilin

Jun 24, 2018
Hey there,

I married my boyfriend of 10 years at the end of a 1-year stay of living together in Canada. I'm from the US. We are primarily in a long-distance relationship and while I know that our relationship is genuine, I'm fairly convinced that we're going to run into a lot of trouble if we try to set up our application.

We got married with the intention of having a full ceremony later when I was settled and stable in Canada, but I'm worried that that's just going to come off as convenience. It was a pretty quiet ceremony in Canada with just us and two other witnesses. Even the photos that were taken are pretty lame.

I could drown them in chatlogs and photos during our stay, but I'm worried that the rather rushed nature of our marriage is gonna really hamstring the entire thing. Should I be worried?

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
Hey there,

I married my boyfriend of 10 years at the end of a 1-year stay of living together in Canada. I'm from the US. We are primarily in a long-distance relationship and while I know that our relationship is genuine, I'm fairly convinced that we're going to run into a lot of trouble if we try to set up our application.

We got married with the intention of having a full ceremony later when I was settled and stable in Canada, but I'm worried that that's just going to come off as convenience. It was a pretty quiet ceremony in Canada with just us and two other witnesses. Even the photos that were taken are pretty lame.

I could drown them in chatlogs and photos during our stay, but I'm worried that the rather rushed nature of our marriage is gonna really hamstring the entire thing. Should I be worried?
Make sure you show the evidence of your relationship going back as far as possible, but don't overdo it. Stick to the limits imposed by the checklist.

You can always address the issue in a letter of explanation.

webs

Feb 16, 2018
British Columbia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Missassauga
App. Filed.......
24-01-2018
AOR Received.
09-03-2018
File Transfer...
26-03-2018
Med's Request
15-03-2018
Med's Done....
04-11-2018
LANDED..........
2018-06-22
Stick with the limits of the application. My husband just landed this past Friday and we started our process in Jan 2018. We dated 20 years ago and only reconnected 2.5 years ago. Married at beginning Jan 2018 and submitted application right away. I'm sure with 10 years of a relationship you will have no problem finding 20 photos. Our marriage was simple and at home with just just a few friends. Neither of us have family close by so I was able to demonstrate whey family members were not at the ceremony.

Hey there,

mrs_december

Star Member
Jun 10, 2017
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
03-05-2018
AOR Received.
09-06-2018
File Transfer...
26-06-2018
Med's Request
18-06-2018
Med's Done....
06-07-2018
Passport Req..
22-08-2018
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-2018
LANDED..........
02-09-2018
You have a ten year relationship with a year of living together prior to marriage. As long as your application is complete and provides what they are asking for in terms of documentation, I sincerely don't believe you have any cause for concern. CIC isn't looking for an elaborate wedding, because not everyone believes in them. They want to see the evidence of a sincere relationship and marriage that falls within the norms of the cultures from which you come. You should be just fine.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hey there,

Hi

You are seriously overthinking this. You are American, have been together for 10 years and lived together for a year. There is ZERO marriage of convenience risk. Submit the normal amount of proofs.