+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Worried about future status

worriedguy

Mar 6, 2011
Hi Guys,

I hope someone can help me. I am a PR of Canada since June 2010. I arrived here with my wife after 3 years of marriage and living in Ireland. She is Canadian and I am Irish.

Basically we were going to live in Ireland until things took a turn for the worse there. We applied for a PR for me due to the fact i was married to my canadian wife.

I obtained PR status and have lived in Canada since June 2010. Basically my wife has told me it is her wish to divorce me. It came out of left field and has really set me back. I do not want to leave canada. I have a good job here and I don't think i could live in Ireland again.

My question is that will I lose my pr status now that she is filing for divorce?

MandiF

Sep 7, 2010
Alberta Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-11-2010
Med's Done....
02-09-2010
Passport Req..
05-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2011
LANDED..........
25-02-2011
Sorry that this is happening to you, but rest assured that you will not now lose your PR if you get divorced. Unlike the UK, you do not have to prove that you have still be married after 2 years of living in the country.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
worriedguy said:
Hi Guys,

I hope someone can help me. I am a PR of Canada since June 2010. I arrived here with my wife after 3 years of marriage and living in Ireland. She is Canadian and I am Irish.

Basically we were going to live in Ireland until things took a turn for the worse there. We applied for a PR for me due to the fact i was married to my canadian wife.

I obtained PR status and have lived in Canada since June 2010. Basically my wife has told me it is her wish to divorce me. It came out of left field and has really set me back. I do not want to leave canada. I have a good job here and I don't think i could live in Ireland again.

My question is that will I lose my pr status now that she is filing for divorce?
Mandif is right, the divorce means nothing to your PR. You can stay in Canada.
Also note that your wife signed an agreement to sponsor you, it lasts for three years. She is bound by that agreement even if you are divorced.
With a job you are unlikely to need welfare, if you do apply she will have to repay the money to the government.

Move on, safe in the knowledge that you can remain in Canada.