+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Worried about crossing into Canada

amberg93

Dec 28, 2012
My wife and I have been married since April, although we just got our P.R. application turned in a few weeks ago. (We had to do a lot of digging through things to fix evidence of travels and under estimated the time it'd take to put together our application. On top of that, we waited until the last minute to do police clearance without realizing how long it would take). Anyway, I've visited her a few times since we've been married. A weekend in June, the whole of September and October and the first week of November. I came back to visit her for Christmas, getting here on the 12th and planning on leaving on Jan 2nd to get things set up for my job. I work seasonally in the United States from May to September.

The problem is that last time I went through customs (on top of getting the third degree from the Customs Agent because I had to run all the way across the Toronto airport to try and get my connection, only to miss the flight by having to get sent through immigration) is that the immigration officer wrote in my passport that I had to be gone by Jan 9. I'm planning on coming back on Jan 11. I won't be able to see my wife at all during the summer and so we like to spend as much time together as possible during the 'off season'. I would ideally like to get a visitor's visa (because my wife and I plan on going on a cruise together) but I've been told mixed things even by Immigration Call Center agents. One told me that it's rare, but possible. The other insisted that it was impossible all together because I'm an American.

Is there any way to make it easier for me to cross into the country without missing my connections?

sammystorm19

Champion Member
Jan 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-05-13
Doc's Request.
23-09-14
AOR Received.
12-06-13
File Transfer...
27-06-13
Med's Done....
18-01-13
Passport Req..
09-10-14
VISA ISSUED...
17-10-14
LANDED..........
07-11-14
You are not required to have a vistors visa to come to Canada if you are American. As long as you haven't over stayed the time allowed you can come and go as you please....providing you have a valid passport.

There is no easier way for you to not miss your connections except buy airline tickets with a longer layover or choose to connect through a different airport that isn't as big as Toronto. When travelling through Toronto you should have at least an hour if departing from the same terminal or longer if you have to change terminals.