+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working Online for Canadian Company and Living in Mexico

Sep 14, 2009
Hopefully this is a good place to post this.

I am a canadian (born here) and i work online for a canadian firm. I pay taxes
to canada and have health care with the province I live in and health and dental
benefits through work.

We are thinking about living in Mexico (renting) and maybe not coming back up for a year or so.
If I keep paying my taxes and fees to the provincial governemt for health.

Are there any issues that would arise for me.

Would I have to come back up to Canada for any reason. I am pretty sure there would
be no issues. However, I am a bit worried that when I come back into Canada there
may be a problem when I go through customs and they notice I have been outside Canada
for awhile.

Any info anybody as to share on this would be great.

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

oceansandwaves said:
Hopefully this is a good place to post this.

I am a canadian (born here) and i work online for a canadian firm. I pay taxes
to canada and have health care with the province I live in and health and dental
benefits through work.

We are thinking about living in Mexico (renting) and maybe not coming back up for a year or so.
If I keep paying my taxes and fees to the provincial governemt for health.

Are there any issues that would arise for me.

Would I have to come back up to Canada for any reason. I am pretty sure there would
be no issues. However, I am a bit worried that when I come back into Canada there
may be a problem when I go through customs and they notice I have been outside Canada
for awhile.

Any info anybody as to share on this would be great.

Thanks
Depending on the province, you health insurance would be invalid after about 6 months of leaving the province. You have Canadian citizenship, you have the right to enter Canada. So what problem?

PMM