+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working in the US while on a Canadian student visa?

eaegeland

Apr 1, 2014
Hello,

I am currently a full-time secondary teacher in the US. I am looking to immigrate to BC to live with my boyfriend(has his PR and is working as an engineer) and eventually obtain PR status myself either through the student visa route and/or common-law route(civil marriage is not an option at this time).

In order make my US teaching certificate more transferable to BC I am considering taking a TESOL certification course at a BC University I found on the cic.gc website and possibly taking several other courses(Canadian studies) necessary to obtain a BC teaching certificate. My boyfriends and I are also hoping that if we can live together during this time we will be able to gain common-law status as I would be studying in BC for 1+ years.

So here are my questions... While I understand students generally cannot work in Canada on a student visa, I was wondering if I can still work as a teacher in the US commuting everyday while I am living and studying in Canada perhaps on a multiple entry visa or my nexus?

I am hoping to not have to sacrifice my career and prefer not to have gaps of unemployment on my cv during this time and would like to maintain my income. I do apologize if this question is on an incorrect thread.

Thank you in advance.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you enter Canada with Acceptance Letter you will need to convince border officer that you are coming only temporary and after gradation will leave Canada.
Getting courses for obtaining CANADIAN TESOL contradicts this.

Students are allowed to work in Canada (20 hours a week during classes and full time during breaks). Since June 1, 2014 a student will not need a work permit to do that.

I do not think it would a problem to commute to work in USA and back to Canada to go to school. You are a US Citizen (?) - you do not need a TVP and you will have a SP to stay in Canada.

But I advice you first to figure out if TESOL certification course allows you to get a PGWP at all. However, even it allows, to keep it you have to have a FULL time job and it is impossible at the beginning especially in Vancouver. Even Canadian graduates are lucky if they get on call/ substitute teacher job after graduation.

If TESOL certification course does not allow you to get a PGWP then you have to get a LMO which is impossible for a teacher because there is no shortage of teachers in Canada and for LMO you have to get a job offer for a FULL time job. Under NAFTA only teachers of college and university (and seminary)are allowed to work in Canada without LMO.

eaegeland

Apr 1, 2014
Thank you for this advice. I am a US citizen. Perhaps I'll look into courses that will enhance my existing US teaching certificate then. Your information is very helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Perhaps I'll look into courses that will enhance my existing US teaching certificate then.
You still need to give some reason to the border officer why you need to get an education in Canada for teaching in USA. I am sure there could be reasons for that you just need to think about them. :)