+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working in Canada

Micfam

Jul 30, 2018
Hi I am new to this so if this has been asked before please do not hold it against me.

I am looking to go to Canada to work. I called the VAC in my area and am getting mixed information for a work permit. I was told I need to apply for a TRV first then the work permit (was going for an open work permit as I do not have a job offer) but when I called to confirm information I was told that I was misinformed and I can only apply for a work permit with a job offer. I was so frustrated that I cried like a baby. I am totally lost on what I need to do to get a work permit without a job offer. I am searching the Job Bank for any job opportunities but I feel lost and any pointing in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You need a job offer from an employer in Canada and that employer must then apply for an LMIA. If the LMIA is approved, you can then apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer.

If you tell us more about yourself (where you are from, how old you are) there may be other options.

However based on the info you've provided so far, not possible to get a work permit without a job offer. You need a job offer and approved LMIA before you can apply for a work permit.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Hi I am new to this so if this has been asked before please do not hold it against me.

I am looking to go to Canada to work. I called the VAC in my area and am getting mixed information for a work permit. I was told I need to apply for a TRV first then the work permit (was going for an open work permit as I do not have a job offer) but when I called to confirm information I was told that I was misinformed and I can only apply for a work permit with a job offer. I was so frustrated that I cried like a baby. I am totally lost on what I need to do to get a work permit without a job offer. I am searching the Job Bank for any job opportunities but I feel lost and any pointing in the right direction would be greatly appreciated
Yes you will need a job offer before you apply for a work permit. Unless you are from a country that allows certain exemptions such as a Working Holiday Permit which don't require a job offer but you must be from countries that have specialized relationships with Canada.

Micfam

Jul 30, 2018
You need a job offer from an employer in Canada and that employer must then apply for an LMIA. If the LMIA is approved, you can then apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer.

If you tell us more about yourself (where you are from, how old you are) there may be other options.

However based on the info you've provided so far, not possible to get a work permit without a job offer. You need a job offer and approved LMIA before you can apply for a work permit.
From Barbados......40.

Micfam

Jul 30, 2018
Yes you will need a job offer before you apply for a work permit. Unless you are from a country that allows certain exemptions such as a Working Holiday Permit which don't require a job offer but you must be from countries that have specialized relationships with Canada.

Never heard of this Working Holiday Permit though On another note I am thinking that I will need to go the Express Entry route and get the language test done (even though English is my native tongue). Anyone ever tried that way??

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Never heard of this Working Holiday Permit though On another note I am thinking that I will need to go the Express Entry route and get the language test done (even though English is my native tongue). Anyone ever tried that way??
You are well beyond the age limit for a working holiday visa.

Express Entry is not an immigration stream. It is an application management system. Do you qualify to immigrate under any of the economic streams?

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
From Barbados......40.
That confirms it. You need to secure a job offer in Canada and your employer needs to get an approved LMIA. You can then apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer.

You do not qualify for an open work permit.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There's a whole Express Entry section in this forum. Suggest you start reading through the discussions there to see what's involved. Yes - you will have to take a language test.