+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

working hours

juju

Aug 22, 2012
Hi,everyone:
I worked 7 month of full time(37.5/week) and then I worked part-time(7.5-37.5/week) until now, I have reached one year line and the 1560 hours, do you think those weeks I worked less than 30 hours/week will be a problem? Please offer some opinions. thank you

gta-tor-etob

Star Member
Jan 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your job letter should be written as Full time employee. Total hours required are 1950 (which is 37.5 hours/week x 52 weeks).

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
juju said:
Hi,everyone:
I worked 7 month of full time(37.5/week) and then I worked part-time(7.5-37.5/week) until now, I have reached one year line and the 1560 hours, do you think those weeks I worked less than 30 hours/week will be a problem?
No, not a problem, part-time work is permitted, but it will take longer than 1 year and you will have to do a few calculations.

Basically, count the number of weeks you worked for at least 30 hours per week. Those are the number of weeks you worked "full time."

Subtract that number from 52 to get your part-time weeks; multiply your part-time weeks by 30; those are the number of part-time hours you must work to qualify. It will take longer than one year.

And, I recommend ignoring advice that suggests you should lie on your application. Lies about the number of hours worked are easy to figure out with your T4s and NOA...

gta-tor-etob

Star Member
Jan 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thats right, do not take any advice to lie ;),

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp

juju

Aug 22, 2012
jes_ON said:
No, not a problem, part-time work is permitted, but it will take longer than 1 year and you will have to do a few calculations.

Basically, count the number of weeks you worked for at least 30 hours per week. Those are the number of weeks you worked "full time."

Subtract that number from 52 to get your part-time weeks; multiply your part-time weeks by 30; those are the number of part-time hours you must work to qualify. It will take longer than one year.

And, I recommend ignoring advice that suggests you should lie on your application. Lies about the number of hours worked are easy to figure out with your T4s and NOA...
Thank you for your reply.
So here is the math I did:
7 month of "old fashion" full time: 28 weeks*37.5 hours/week=1050 hours.
then 52 weeks-28 weeks=24 weeks, 24 weeks*30 hours=720 hours.( the hours I need to work as part time). Now I have worked 442.5 out of 720 hours already( some times work one day a week, some times seven days a week), since the policy changed to 1560 hours and one year experience, isn't it means I need only 1560-1050-442.5=67.5hours?
Am I correct, I would really appreciate you help.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
juju said:
Thank you for your reply.
So here is the math I did:
7 month of "old fashion" full time: 28 weeks*37.5 hours/week=1050 hours.
You can't count hours in excess of 30 hours per week. The hourly equivalent of 28 weeks of "full-time" ("at least 30 hours per week) is 28 weeks * 30 hours = 840 hours.

then 52 weeks-28 weeks=24 weeks, 24 weeks*30 hours=720 hours.( the hours I need to work as part time). Now I have worked 442.5 out of 720 hours already( some times work one day a week, some times seven days a week),

I have no idea what this means - "some times seven days a week." Doesn't matter how many days a week, only matters how many hours per week. If you work 2 hours a day, seven days a week, that's only 14 hours. If you work 8 hours a day , 7 days a week, then it's more than 30 hours and it's not part-time.

since the policy changed to 1560 hours and one year experience, isn't it means I need only 1560-1050-442.5=67.5hours?

Well... There is no stated policy of 1560 hours. CIC is no longer stating an hourly equivalent. The only stated policy is 12 months of full-time work (or the equivalent).

A week ago I would have said "No, Sorry - full-time is full-time only. If you want to count your full-time weeks in hourly terms, you can only use 30 hours per week." But it looks like the instruction guide was modified again on January 17, and the language regarding not counting hours in excess of 30 hours per week has changed (or more accurately, disappeared). I don't know what this change means.

My advice would be to make sure you work your 720 hours of part-time work before applying, because you would really hate it if you were refused for the lack of a couple week's work...

visitor404

Dec 18, 2012
True.. counting hours is confusing.. to be on safer side ignore the total hours. Calculate the total weeks.
"Count the number of weeks you worked at least 30 hours". The total weeks count should be at least 52 weeks.
(does not matter if you have irregular hours per day - but week total should be at least 30 hrs).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op25A-eng.pdf

Full-time work definition, as per manual:

Pursuant to R73(1), “full-time work” means at least 30 hours of work over a period of one
week, and pursuant to R73(2) “work” means an activity for which wages are paid or
commission is earned.
The full-time work experience requirement for applicants in the CEC may be met by the
equivalent in part-time, paid work experience (e.g. more than one part-time job held
simultaneously or one or more part-time jobs held over the equivalent of at least one year
of full-time work).
Work experience can be calculated by adding up the number of weeks of full-time (or
equivalent) paid work (i.e. 30 hours per week in one job, or a total of at least 30 hours per
week in more than one job) in one or more skilled occupations at Skill Type 0 (Managerial
occupations), Skill Level A (Professional occupations) or B (Technical occupations and
skilled trades) of the NOC. Work experience must be acquired over a period of at least
one year; work in excess of 30 hours per week over a shorter period cannot compensate
for any shorter overall period of experience.

For a student who had graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution, only work
experience gained after graduation will count towards meeting the work experience
requirement (e.g. post-graduate work permit).

juju

Aug 22, 2012
Thanks again.
I went back to CIC website and read through the requirements again, looks like only the "30 hours per week" and one year matters more. I would take the suggestion, continue to work, until I reach the 52 weeks of 30 hours working(ignore the weeks I worked less than 30 hours per week :() May be do it like what visitor404 said, count the weeks, not the hours, just to be on the safe side.