+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WORKING HOLIDAY VISA + COMMON-LAW PARTNER

darksolitude

Jan 12, 2015
Hello, I couldn't find any information about this specific question in the forum.

My girlfriend has already use her WHV in 2014. I am elegible for the WHV. We are not yet common-law partner we will get it in May. The question is:

- if I get the WHV what happen with my common-law partner? Does she get a work permit or another WHV or what?
- can I add the common-law certification during the WHV process? or must I show it at the very begging of the process?

thank you, this forum is AWESOME!!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You need to secure a full time skilled or semi-skilled job in Canada before your common law partner can qualify to apply for a work permit based on your IEC. She will get an open work permit (not an IEC/WHV). So your first step is to get to Canada and secure a qualifying job. Then she can apply.

Haniel

Feb 21, 2015
scylla said:
You need to secure a full time skilled or semi-skilled job in Canada before your common law partner can qualify to apply for a work permit based on your IEC. She will get an open work permit (not an IEC/WHV). So your first step is to get to Canada and secure a qualifying job. Then she can apply.
Hi,

I heard that after 31st January 2015 there are some changes which not allow to apply for open work permit for your common-law partner. I am currently working in Canada and have a high skilled possition Noc (0, A, B) and I intend to apply for my CLP and gain open work permit for her. I did not find any information about those changes on immigration web page. Could you please advise me if it is true or no? I will appreciate your answer. Thanks a lot.