+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working Holiday for an Italian passport holder

danorlandop

Apr 4, 2018
Hi, I applied for a Working Holiday in Canada, I received the invitation yesterday, I found a page called swap.ca on the official government page they help people in the process of working holiday visa, I asked them about my case.

I'm a Colombian resident and citizen and an Italian Citizen as well, I don't live in Italy and I've never been in Italy for more than 6 months, but they answer me that I could use a family address in Italy that is not a problem because I'm an Italian Passport Holder.

I'm really worried about this because I tell them I'm an Italian resident because of this information when I applied to the pool, now that I have the invitation I don't know what to do, I have plans to study in Canada a post-degree, the next year and my plan was to work 6 months (working holiday time for Italian passport holders). what can I do? I read the warning yesterday about false Information and its really freaking me out, I want to do this the right way.

Please help!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
See this link, it says unless you are resident in Italy at the time of an application you cannot apply

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/labour-market-impact-assessments/international-experience/canadian-interests-reciprocal-employment-international-experience-canada-bilateral-agreements-arrangements.html

Others can comment as well but in my view given you only have an ITA that will just expire if you do nothing and should not affect anything else.

Reactions: scylla

danorlandop

Apr 4, 2018
In the same link says this:

Residence requirements
If the applicant’s current residential address is not in their country of citizenship, then they need to provide a “permanent mailing” address that is in their country of citizenship.

I have a family address in Italy, but I'm not there that doesn't work?

should I stopped or don't answer the invitation?

I already accepted yesterday,

Thanks!

Last edited:

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
In the same link says this:

Residence requirements
If the applicant’s current residential address is not in their country of citizenship, then they need to provide a “permanent mailing” address that is in their country of citizenship.

I have a family address in Italy, but I'm not there that doesn't work?

should I stopped or don't answer the invitation?

I already accepted yesterday,

Thanks!
Check the bottom section specific to Italy. Only for certain countries it has been mentioned that one must be a valid resident at the time of applying and Italy is one among them. That means if you are applying with Italian passport, you have to be a resident of it.

Resident generally means you reside in the country, rent or own a house, pay utilities, have a driver's license etc. Mailing address will not constitute as residential address.

cars10

Jun 9, 2019
Hi!
I have a problem similar to danorlandop's:
I have Italian citizenship and have studied in a different country in the EU. Some weeks ago, I sent my IEC application from there, unaware of the issue that Italians must reside in IT in order to be eligible, and it was refused for that reason. Now, since my uni is over soon, I'm going to spend much time in Italy at my parents' place while I'll still keep my studend job at my place of study and will also spend time there since my girlfriend still lives there. So, since I'm spending about equal amounts of time in both countries, would it be legitimate to start a second application and state my parents' place as both my permanent(as in the first application) AND my current address?
Obviously, that's the only way I could even apply, but I'm seriously not sure which is my current residential address, abroad or IT. So, could I just state Italy? Or does the officially registered address count as my current address in the application? Because right now, I'm still registered in both places.

I'm glad for any advice! I really want to get an IEC visa and go, but this situation makes it complicated. Also don't want to do anything wrong..

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi!
I have a problem similar to danorlandop's:
I have Italian citizenship and have studied in a different country in the EU. Some weeks ago, I sent my IEC application from there, unaware of the issue that Italians must reside in IT in order to be eligible, and it was refused for that reason. Now, since my uni is over soon, I'm going to spend much time in Italy at my parents' place while I'll still keep my studend job at my place of study and will also spend time there since my girlfriend still lives there. So, since I'm spending about equal amounts of time in both countries, would it be legitimate to start a second application and state my parents' place as both my permanent(as in the first application) AND my current address?
Obviously, that's the only way I could even apply, but I'm seriously not sure which is my current residential address, abroad or IT. So, could I just state Italy? Or does the officially registered address count as my current address in the application? Because right now, I'm still registered in both places.

I'm glad for any advice! I really want to get an IEC visa and go, but this situation makes it complicated. Also don't want to do anything wrong..

Thank you!
IMO the only way you'll be approved for the IEC is if you return to Italy and live there for six months before reapplying. IRCC knows you're not living in Italy now based on your first application. IMO going back and forth between two countries isn't going to cut it - you won't actually be living in Italy - you'll still be living and working outside of Italy.