+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working for Canadian company outside of Canada for 6 months out of 2 years

mislam12

Jan 8, 2023
Hi,
I have worked two years in total for two Canadian Companies in TEER 1 category job. I have worked for 16 months for company A and currently working for 8 months for company B. While I was working for company A, I was working remotely from outside of Canada for 6 months. I know that 6 months will not be considered as Canadian since I was outside of Canada. From that two years, can I use one year as Canadian experience and the other year as foreign experience? I have 2 years and 8 months of foreign experience as well before coming to Canada. Can I use 3 years of foreign experience and 1 year of Canadian experience in my case?

classico33

Jul 4, 2023
Yes, You have to use it as foreign experience even if you are working for a Canadian company. You have to physically in Canada and Legally able to work to use it as Canadian Experience.
What if I had 1 year 3months canadian experience and 9months experience working for same canadian employer outside canada. Can I claim 1 year canadian experience and 1 year foreign / canadian experience for points (9mo foreign + 3mo canada - all paystubs, taxes and bank statements in canada)?

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Hi,
I have worked two years in total for two Canadian Companies in TEER 1 category job. I have worked for 16 months for company A and currently working for 8 months for company B. While I was working for company A, I was working remotely from outside of Canada for 6 months. I know that 6 months will not be considered as Canadian since I was outside of Canada. From that two years, can I use one year as Canadian experience and the other year as foreign experience? I have 2 years and 8 months of foreign experience as well before coming to Canada. Can I use 3 years of foreign experience and 1 year of Canadian experience in my case?
In simple words the time you spent in Canada working will be counted as Canadian work experience and the time working outside Canada even though for Canadian employer will be counted foreign work experience.

Reactions: classico33

classico33

Jul 4, 2023
In simple words the time you spent in Canada working will be counted as Canadian work experience and the time working outside Canada even though for Canadian employer will be counted foreign work experience.
Hmm I understand. In short, I can’t claim points for my second year of experience unless I get 3 more months of foreign experience or 9 more months of canadian experience.