+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working for an American Company while living in Canada

Jason M Jones

Apr 25, 2018
I am in the early stages of the application process for PR. It appears likely that we will move to Canada before I have established PR. I will remain working with my current employer, Teachers College at Columbia University, and working remotely. Any help or guidance with my current situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am in the early stages of the application process for PR. It appears likely that we will move to Canada before I have established PR. I will remain working with my current employer, Teachers College at Columbia University, and working remotely. Any help or guidance with my current situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason
No problem doing that. You'll need to file taxes both in Canada and in the US. (Assuming you are American, you'll need to file taxes for life in the US regardless of where you live.)

Reactions: Jason M Jones

Jason M Jones

Apr 25, 2018
No problem doing that. You'll need to file taxes both in Canada and in the US. (Assuming you are American, you'll need to file taxes for life in the US regardless of where you live.)
Hi Scylla,
Thank you for the quick response. Other than tax filing, are there any forms that I need to provide to the Canadian Govt.? Will there be any issue with my current situation, If I have not yet established PR in Canada? Or can I continue working without issue?
Thanks,
Jason

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012

Thanks,
Jason
Note that you can't "move" to Canada until you're a PR. Until then all you can do is visit. If you show up to the border as a visitor and tell CBSA you're moving here, and have tons of your belongings, you could be denied entry (has happened to many US citizens). But as long as you act like a visitor, you should be fine.

Working remotely is fine as long as you are not dealing with Canadian clients, and your pay is coming from a US source.

Reactions: Jason M Jones

Jason M Jones

Apr 25, 2018
Note that you can't "move" to Canada until you're a PR. Until then all you can do is visit. If you show up to the border as a visitor and tell CBSA you're moving here, and have tons of your belongings, you could be denied entry (has happened to many US citizens). But as long as you act like a visitor, you should be fine.

Working remotely is fine as long as you are not dealing with Canadian clients, and your pay is coming from a US source.
Yes. That was a poor choice of words on my part. I will be visiting until such time as I get PR. Thanks!