+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working experience related to Canadian education

TheVape

Star Member
Feb 26, 2018

Hello guys,
I'm presently studying in Canada and will be having PGWP after April this year and I would like to ask a question regarding our full-time working experience after the PGWP to be eligible for the Permanent Residency.

Some people say that it's obligatory to work in a job that is related to our education that we've taken in Canada but some say that it only depends on the NOC Levels (0, A or B) that we're working under.

Can someone please clarify, for example, we study in a post-graduate program majoring in Logistics, Supply & Chain and the full-time job that we've found after graduation is let's say restaurant chef. Does it really matter? or we're fine as long as we're working under one of the required NOC Levels 0, A or B?

Thanks in advance.

Navprateek

Dec 29, 2015
It doesn't matter, If you have studied let's say computer programming and is eligible to get a job as a marketing manager you should qualify for EE as long as your work experience is for 1 year in NOC O A or B

Abdelkader95

May 25, 2018
It doesn't matter, If you have studied let's say computer programming and is eligible to get a job as a marketing manager you should qualify for EE as long as your work experience is for 1 year in NOC O A or B
Hello, i have a similar situation but a slightly different concern. I studied mechanical engineering and working as a cleaning supervisor. Is the VO going to be suspicious about how I was qualified to be cleaning supervisor?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Some people say that it's obligatory to work in a job that is related to our education that we've taken in Canada but some say that it only depends on the NOC Levels (0, A or B) that we're working under.
"Some people say..." Believing "some people" as opposed to reading the actual rules provided by IRCC is not likely to be a successful strategy.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/eligibility.html

In most cases, occupation and educational program do not need to be related. There are exceptions, however - for regulated occupations (for example, occupations where a license or certification is mandatory), you must have the educational requirements.

It also has to make sense. For example, regardless of whether you study business or biology, you can do the job of cook. In another example, the field of computer programming / software engineer is also quite flexible in educational backgrounds. But you are not likely to become a physicist if your degree is in business or if you went to culinary school. In some cases, it is also unlikely that you will be a "manager" or even supervisor with no prior experience in a subordinate occupation.

Reactions: DelPiero07