+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working as a Pastry Cook. Do I have any chances to apply for PR under CEC

hybridin

Star Member
Nov 24, 2014
I currently work as a Pastry Cook in a hotel (its been approximately 8 months since I graduated from a college in Canada). Should I try and find a new job as a baker or talk to the HR and ask to change the name of my position to "baker" (not 100% sure if its possible or can be viewed as "misrepresentation" which, of course, I'd rather not to...).

Please help

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
At the moment, even the Federal Skilled Trades program has reached the cap for cooks.

The job has to be matched based on the duties and responsibilities listed in the NOC description, not the job title. But given that cooks are currently ineligible, if your job title had the word "cook" in it, there's a good chance the application would be refused.

You say you graduated from a college - what province? Have you looked into the PNP program?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/immigrate/provincial/index.asp

The other options are to (a) change jobs, or (b) wait until the new year when the caps are reset (and possibly new eligibility criteria established-for better or worse).

hybridin

Star Member
Nov 24, 2014
Thank you for reply

I graduated from George Brown (Toronto, ON).

I looked into the program (~ Opportunities Ontario) you mentioned. It's a bit overwhelming at first sight. I am not sure what this sentence means: "...and have received a job offer from an employer pre-screened and approved by Opportunities Ontario". Does my employer has to actually to do something to be approved by Opportunities Ontario. I kind of doubt that this giant chain would do anything for me.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
hybridin said:
Thank you for reply

I graduated from George Brown (Toronto, ON).

I looked into the program (~ Opportunities Ontario) you mentioned. It's a bit overwhelming at first sight. I am not sure what this sentence means: "...and have received a job offer from an employer pre-screened and approved by Opportunities Ontario". Does my employer has to actually to do something to be approved by Opportunities Ontario. I kind of doubt that this giant chain would do anything for me.
The employer has to fill out an application and be approved before you apply. It is no cost to the employer. No need to worry about a giant chain, what about your manager?