+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working as a freelancer/contractor while studying full time

incominguser

May 5, 2023
Hey everyone, so I currently work as a freelancer/contractor for a US based client who has no presence in Canada. Since it is a complete remote job I was wondering if I can keep working while I start my course this September and since its stated here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/work-off-campus.html, that if you remotely work for an employer outside of Canada then it isn't counted towards 20 hours but would this mean that I can work 40 hours as I do currently. Also, I understand that I will be liable to pay taxes so any help or tips would be great. Thanks in advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey everyone, so I currently work as a freelancer/contractor for a US based client who has no presence in Canada. Since it is a complete remote job I was wondering if I can keep working while I start my course this September and since its stated here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/work-off-campus.html, that if you remotely work for an employer outside of Canada then it isn't counted towards 20 hours but would this mean that I can work 40 hours as I do currently. Also, I understand that I will be liable to pay taxes so any help or tips would be great. Thanks in advance!
Yes, you can continue working for this employer full time as long as they have no presence in Canada and also no Canadian customers / clients. This will not count towards the 20 hours provided all of these conditions are met.

Yes, you will need to file taxes in Canada on your worldwide income (including this remote job).

incominguser

May 5, 2023
Yes, you can continue working for this employer full time as long as they have no presence in Canada and also no Canadian customers / clients. This will not count towards the 20 hours provided all of these conditions are met.

Yes, you will need to file taxes in Canada on your worldwide income (including this remote job).
Thank you for confirming, it helps. It just seems people have very different opinion on this, some say you cannot do and should be under 20 hour limit and from the IRCC site it seems you can. It just looks like a grey area. Thanks again!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for confirming, it helps. It just seems people have very different opinion on this, some say you cannot do and should be under 20 hour limit and from the IRCC site it seems you can. It just looks like a grey area. Thanks again!
As long as you're not entering the Canadian job market, then you are fine.

Entering the Canadian job market would mean that:
- The company has operations in Canada
AND/OR
- The company has customers / clients in Canada

incominguser

May 5, 2023
As long as you're not entering the Canadian job market, then you are fine.

Entering the Canadian job market would mean that:
- The company has operations in Canada
AND/OR
- The company has customers / clients in Canada
Thank you so much for a detailed answers, I appreciate it. Would you recommend checking in someone from IRCC to get a definite answer from the governing authority itself since the language seems to be ambiguous and people seem to be divided. If yes, I have been trying to find a way to reach out to them but to no yield, do you know anyway I could get this clarified from them!

P.S. I have DMed them on their twitter handle but they haven't responded yet.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you so much for a detailed answers, I appreciate it. Would you recommend checking in someone from IRCC to get a definite answer from the governing authority itself since the language seems to be ambiguous and people seem to be divided. If yes, I have been trying to find a way to reach out to them but to no yield, do you know anyway I could get this clarified from them!

P.S. I have DMed them on their twitter handle but they haven't responded yet.
I don't know how you would get clarity from them. Typically they don't respond to specific questions and will just point you to the website for the rules and only make general statements.