+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

working after off campus work permit expires but before PGWP decision

allam89

May 22, 2011
Hi

I'm a new user here and I have a question. I just graduated and received my letter of completion of my degree, which I used to apply for a PGWP last week (May 16th) online. Now I don't know how long this will take but I have an off-campus work permit and a study permit expiring June 30th. Can I still work under implied status if my PGWP takes longer than June 30th? I want to accept a job offer now. Is it likely to take that long if I applied online? Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you have an on-campus work permit and have applied for a PG work permit, you are under implied status and may continue to work.

ae03yy

Oct 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Seattl
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 18, 2011
Leon said:
If you have an on-campus work permit and have applied for a PG work permit, you are under implied status and may continue to work.
I don't think this is right. Students are allowwed to get off campus work permit. However, they are under study peermit not WP and when they graduate and apply for PGWP they are just like student getting to Work status. They can stay in on implied status when their study permit expires(same date as off campus W0rk pemit) but can't work because they were students:studying is the main reason for them to be here.
That's why you have 90days to apply for PGWP, from getting final grades or letter of confimation to graduation

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ae03yy said:
I don't think this is right. Students are allowwed to get off campus work permit. However, they are under study peermit not WP and when they graduate and apply for PGWP they are just like student getting to Work status. They can stay in on implied status when their study permit expires(same date as off campus W0rk pemit) but can't work because they were students:studying is the main reason for them to be here.
That's why you have 90days to apply for PGWP, from getting final grades or letter of confimation to graduation
No, not true. If a student has an off-campus work permit and applies for a PGWP, they can work full time after they graduate with the OCWP until they get the PGWP.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rjessome said:
No, not true. If a student has an off-campus work permit and applies for a PGWP, they can work full time after they graduate with the OCWP until they get the PGWP.
Right, the doubters should read the following Operational Bulletin. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob193.asp

ae03yy

Oct 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Seattl
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 18, 2011
thanks for clearing off my mind, guys. I was honestly thinking othewise but you're apparently right.

allam89

May 22, 2011
OK but just to clarify. I have a job starting next week full time. My OCWP expires June 30th. I am afraid that I will be working AFTER my OCWP expires but BEFORE my PGWP comes in. So even though I have applied for the PGWP it might not come before the OCWP expires. Can I work during this gap under implied status? Or if not what are my options? Thank you very much.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
allam89 said:
OK but just to clarify. I have a job starting next week full time. My OCWP expires June 30th. I am afraid that I will be working AFTER my OCWP expires but BEFORE my PGWP comes in. So even though I have applied for the PGWP it might not come before the OCWP expires. Can I work during this gap under implied status? Or if not what are my options? Thank you very much.
Yes, you can work on implied status.

saurabh54

Star Member
Nov 16, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi
Have a question, kindly help me out, as i have very limited time left.

Visa Details
Student Visa & Permit - Dec12-March14
Co-Op permit - June13-March14
OCWP - July13-March14
Completed 1 yr PGDM from GBC on 13 Dec, 13(8 months studies + 4mnths Co-op)- Received PGDM dated 13 Dec,13 in Jan

Working Full-time on OCWP from 20 Nov, 13 - Present, on NOC Class B job, code1223 in Downtown Toronto (As i am eligible to work full-time after completion of my program, as per CEC website)

Thinking to apply for PGWP in Feb14(will be getting it for 12 months i.e. Feb14 to Feb15-expected)

Please help me out to understand, whether my exp after 13 Dec,13 till Feb,14(near 3 mnths) will be considered under post graduation CEC under which a person need to have 12 months working exp in Canada with proper authorization to apply for his PR.

As per CEC Website
"have at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) skilled work experience in Canada in the three years before you apply,
have gained your experience in Canada with the proper authorization"

CEC Helpline: Your exp will be counted towards 12 months exp belt as it is under Skilled Class B. and you are gaining it with proper authorization.

My Immigration Lawyer: Only exp on PGWP will be counted under CEC.

If only PGWP exp is to be counted then i would only be having 12 months to gain 12 mnths exp. and then how would i be able to apply for my PR, do i have to leave the country - Kindly Suggest.

Lawyer Suggestion(Sounds Fishy to me): You have to get a LMO.

Thanks Smiley

Original Post: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/experience-on-ocwp-after-graduation-under-cec-post-grad-class-t184361.0.html

rinkupatel.dmj

Mar 13, 2013
Toronto, ON, CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-2013
Doc's Request.
15/05/2014
AOR Received.
11-12-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted with the Application
File Transfer...
21-12-2013
Med's Request
UPFRONT - 12-04-2014
Med's Done....
ECAS UPDATED: 25-04-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-11-2014 / Change of VO 11-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
16-12-2014
LANDED..........
31-12-2014 @ Rainbow Bridge, Niagara Falls
saurabh54 said:
Hi
Have a question, kindly help me out, as i have very limited time left.

Visa Details
Student Visa & Permit - Dec12-March14
Co-Op permit - June13-March14
OCWP - July13-March14
Completed 1 yr PGDM from GBC on 13 Dec, 13(8 months studies + 4mnths Co-op)- Received PGDM dated 13 Dec,13 in Jan

Working Full-time on OCWP from 20 Nov, 13 - Present, on NOC Class B job, code1223 in Downtown Toronto (As i am eligible to work full-time after completion of my program, as per CEC website)

Thinking to apply for PGWP in Feb14(will be getting it for 12 months i.e. Feb14 to Feb15-expected)

Please help me out to understand, whether my exp after 13 Dec,13 till Feb,14(near 3 mnths) will be considered under post graduation CEC under which a person need to have 12 months working exp in Canada with proper authorization to apply for his PR.

As per CEC Website
"have at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) skilled work experience in Canada in the three years before you apply,
have gained your experience in Canada with the proper authorization"

CEC Helpline: Your exp will be counted towards 12 months exp belt as it is under Skilled Class B. and you are gaining it with proper authorization.

My Immigration Lawyer: Only exp on PGWP will be counted under CEC.

If only PGWP exp is to be counted then i would only be having 12 months to gain 12 mnths exp. and then how would i be able to apply for my PR, do i have to leave the country - Kindly Suggest.

Lawyer Suggestion(Sounds Fishy to me): You have to get a LMO.

Thanks Smiley

Original Post: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/experience-on-ocwp-after-graduation-under-cec-post-grad-class-t184361.0.html
So many students like u are in this situation including myself. But after doing good amount of research I came to conclusion that work-exp gathered with PGWP is only counted. Only sometimes if you are lucky then VO might think and may count OCWP's exp.
But, why to take risk when you have an option of applying BOWP.
In my opinion DO NOT take any risk coz CEC are very strict with counting work hours. Its not your experience letter from where they count your hours. Its your Pay Stubs and that to ensuring from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
So, better be late then never...

>> Seniors correct me if Wrong

saurabh54

Star Member
Nov 16, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So many students like u are in this situation including myself. But after doing good amount of research I came to conclusion that work-exp gathered with PGWP is only counted. Only sometimes if you are lucky then VO might think and may count OCWP's exp.
In my opinion DO NOT take any risk coz CEC are very strict with counting work hours. Its not your experience letter from where they count your hours. Its your Pay Stubs and that to ensuring from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

Thanks rinkupatel.mj.

Just to clear, i have proper pay stubs & will be paying my taxes to CRA, as i worked full-time. Just received my T4 slip.
Can you please let me know how to get a BOWP ?

Thnx!

Further Info: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/experience-on-offcampus-wrk-prmt-after-graduation-under-cec-t184361.0.html;msg2892908#msg2892908

Raj2014

Sep 13, 2014
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-01-2014
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
12-12-2014
AOR Received.
04-05-2015
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
May 9 2014
Med's Done....
May 23 2014 / IP Sep 2 2015 / DM Sep 18 2015
Interview........
NO
Passport Req..
Oct 10 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 11 2015
LANDED..........
Dec 15 2015 / Already in Canada Since 2010 as Student & Worker ...Now PR
rinkupatel.dmj said:

Hello Rinku,

I finished my college on May 27,2013 and I got job so I have started to work from May 27,2013. At the same time, I also applied for PGWP and I was working in implied status until I got my PGWP. I got it on August 21,2013.

My questions ....

1) Should I start to count my work experience for CEC from August 21 or May 27,2013 ???

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Raj2014 said:
Hello Rinku,

I finished my college on May 27,2013 and I got job so I have started to work from May 27,2013. At the same time, I also applied for PGWP and I was working in implied status until I got my PGWP. I got it on August 21,2013.

My questions ....

1) Should I start to count my work experience for CEC from August 21 or May 27,2013 ???
Immigration has recently been denying people who applied with off-campus / implied status work experience so to be safe, you should start counting from August 21st.