+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working Abroad while waiting for Spousal Sponsorship PR?

micheler

Apr 5, 2016
I am a Canadian citizen and my common-law partner and I have applied for permanent residence for him through the Inland Canada Spousal Sponsorship.

CIC received our application back in May 2015 and began processing it in August 2015. We applied for an open work permit at the same time and we were under the impression that he would be granted an open work permit within 4 months of applying - but we still have not received this!

It is getting very difficult to remain in Canada while he can not work and I just finished studying full-time, due to financial reasons.

We are now wondering whether we could leave Canada (together) back to the UK where he is from for awhile to make some money while we are still waiting on a decision to be made. Is this allowed?????

km9203

Aug 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-07-2015
AOR Received.
26/02/2016 OWP 30-09-2015
Med's Done....
Sent with app
LANDED..........
02-02-2017
micheler said:
I am a Canadian citizen and my common-law partner and I have applied for permanent residence for him through the Inland Canada Spousal Sponsorship.

CIC received our application back in May 2015 and began processing it in August 2015. We applied for an open work permit at the same time and we were under the impression that he would be granted an open work permit within 4 months of applying - but we still have not received this!

It is getting very difficult to remain in Canada while he can not work and I just finished studying full-time, due to financial reasons.

We are now wondering whether we could leave Canada (together) back to the UK where he is from for awhile to make some money while we are still waiting on a decision to be made. Is this allowed?????

Wow. Definitely call CIC and ask what is going on. You should get it within 4 months if everything is straight-forward. You can't go back to the UK as the inland application will be cancelled.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, because it is a requirement that both the sponsor and applicant remain in Canada during the [painful] process.

But...you show that your Inland application started processing (which means nothing, really) in August 2015. You should consider withdrawing the Inland application and submit an Outland application ASAP. It will be a substantially faster process for him, even with 8 months wasted, and you'd be free to leave Canada for the processing (because you are a Canadian citizen). Most applicants from the UK seem to complete the entire process within ~ 10 months.

Check the Outland UK thread for more info.

If working in Canada is the most important thing, I echo what km9203 suggested; contact CIC.

If getting through the nightmare ASAP is most important, withdraw and re-apply. You can probably use the same receipt because nothing will even be done with sponsor portion of the application for another 10 months or so.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
micheler said:

An inland app requires both sponsor and applicant to be cohabiting in Canada during entire duration of processing (2+ years). If you move out of Canada, expect the app to be cancelled when CIC finds out.

UK citizens should really submit OUTLAND apps though, due to quicker processing times. Could get full PR in less than a year being processed through London visa office. In the meantime though definitely check on the OWP, it should be issued in around 4 months so sounds like they lost yours or something.

micheler

Apr 5, 2016
Thank you all for your answers - very helpful!

Any advice on how to get in touch with CIC about the OWP? We have tried calling them a couple of times before, and usually just get a "we don't know and can't provide answers" type of responses over the phone?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
micheler said:
Thank you all for your answers - very helpful!

Any advice on how to get in touch with CIC about the OWP? We have tried calling them a couple of times before, and usually just get a "we don't know and can't provide answers" type of responses over the phone?
Your husband is currently inadmissible to Canada due to a DUI and has a rehab application that's being processed - correct? If so, my guess is that's the reason why you don't have the OWP yet.

km9203

Aug 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-07-2015
AOR Received.
26/02/2016 OWP 30-09-2015
Med's Done....
Sent with app
LANDED..........
02-02-2017
scylla said:
Your husband is currently inadmissible to Canada due to a DUI and has a rehab application that's being processed - correct? If so, my guess is that's the reason why you don't have the OWP yet.
Oh. If he is inadmissible, how can he apply in Canada...?

micheler

Apr 5, 2016
Yes we are also waiting for criminal rehab to be granted, any ideas on how long this process takes?

It is very difficult to get any information out of CIC themselves

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If he's currently inadmissible, how can he have legal/valid status to even qualify for the Pilot Program OWP?