+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working abroad counting towards PR Status

satishk1511

Apr 17, 2016
Hi All -

My PR started from May 2018 (valid till May 2023), and it's been almost 18 months since i've not been to Canada.

I am going to be working for the Indian office of a Canadian company.What i wanted to understand is how do i know if i am eligible for claiming the time i spend working for this organization abroad counts towards the PR Status?

Or does it not?. How do i get this information

Also, suppose i dont stay in Canada till May 2023 for ~2 years, does that mean my PR status will be invalidated?. Also, if i need to work again in Canada or apply for a PR, will i have to go through the entire process all over again?. Do i get some negative credits if i dont stay in Canada after having applied for a PR?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Thanks!

Satish

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
You need to clarify your statement 'working for an Indian Office of a Canadian company'.

Are you on a temporary assignment from the Canadian company still paid by the Canadian company or have you moved to India and started working for/ paid by a subsidary/branch of the Canadian company? If the latter then time spent outside of Canada would not qualify for residency obligation.

If you do not meet the 2 years out of 5 residency obligation from the initial date you landed then assuming you come back whilst your card is still valid then you may be reported on entry leading to your PR status being revoked subject to appeal.

If you status gets revoked there is nothing to stop you applying again if you qualify and unlikely any negative impacts from having previously held PR status.

Note once your PR card expires then you would need a PRTD to return to Canada which could lead to your PR status being revoked if at the time you had not met the residency obligation.

Only PR cards expire, PR status never expires and can only be renounced or revoked

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1466&top=10

Last edited:
Reactions: satishk1511

satishk1511

Apr 17, 2016
Thanks a lot for your reply Bs65! Super clear now.

Quick question, PR status begins from the time you first enter the country (which in my case was Feb 2018) or the time the PR Card begins (which is May 2018)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks a lot for your reply Bs65! Super clear now.

Quick question, PR status begins from the time you first enter the country (which in my case was Feb 2018) or the time the PR Card begins (which is May 2018)
From the first time you entered Canada (Feb).

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi All -

My PR started from May 2018 (valid till May 2023), and it's been almost 18 months since i've not been to Canada.

I am going to be working for the Indian office of a Canadian company.What i wanted to understand is how do i know if i am eligible for claiming the time i spend working for this organization abroad counts towards the PR Status?

Or does it not?. How do i get this information

Also, suppose i dont stay in Canada till May 2023 for ~2 years, does that mean my PR status will be invalidated?. Also, if i need to work again in Canada or apply for a PR, will i have to go through the entire process all over again?. Do i get some negative credits if i dont stay in Canada after having applied for a PR?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Thanks!

Satish
Also, if you ARE on temporary assignment from a Canadian employer to a posting in India, there must also be the intention to resume work for your employer back in Canada after the temporary assignment terminates.

satishk1511

Apr 17, 2016
Hi All, i was wondering if on account of the COVID related international travel restrictions if Canada/IRCC will be willing to ease out the PR obligations/requirement.

Technically, if i have to be in Canada by Feb 2021 and stay for 2 years at least to ensure my PR Status isnt revoked, will it be possible to apply for an easing of my PR Requirement on account of COVID-19 as there were significant travel restrictions and continue to be so now? (From India to Canada)

Let me know whom i should contact for this?

It would be ideal, if the requirement is that i need to complete 730 days in the 5 year period ending May 2024, instead of May 2023 as 2020 was a hard travel year that way.

Let me know pls! Thanks in advance!

Satish

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All, i was wondering if on account of the COVID related international travel restrictions if Canada/IRCC will be willing to ease out the PR obligations/requirement.

Technically, if i have to be in Canada by Feb 2021 and stay for 2 years at least to ensure my PR Status isnt revoked, will it be possible to apply for an easing of my PR Requirement on account of COVID-19 as there were significant travel restrictions and continue to be so now? (From India to Canada)

It would be ideal, if the requirement is that i need to complete 730 days in the 5 year period ending May 2024, instead of May 2023 as 2020 was a hard travel year that way.

Satish
No there have not been any reports of easing of RO. It is already very lenient. You landed in 2018 and have had plenty of time to move. There were not travel restrictions for the majority of the past year from India.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Satish
Unfortunately there has been no easing of the PR residency obligation due to COVID. The same rules still apply.

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
My PR started from May 2018 (valid till May 2023)
Permanent Resident Status doesn’t expire. It can be lost for failure to abide by the requirements. Only the card expires, but that card is not the status.

and it's been almost 18 months since i've not been to Canada.
That’s not ideal.

The IRPA says that the following counts:

” [days] (iii) outside Canada employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business or in the federal public administration or the public service of a province,”

That being said, make sure you document it, that the business you are directly employed by is Canadian, that the employment is full time, and that you have documentation about the assignment.

Also, suppose i dont stay in Canada till May 2023 for ~2 years, does that mean my PR status will be invalidated?.
Your status is kept unless and until it is lost, just like Citizenship. You are talking about a document, not your status, when talking expiration.

Getting on a plane without that document is difficult, and when you apply for another they will look at your history. If you violate the rules, you can lose your PR Status.

Also, if i need to work again in Canada or apply for a PR, will i have to go through the entire process all over again?.
If you lose PR Status, then you will need to reapply for it if you want to regain it.

Do i get some negative credits if i dont stay in Canada after having applied for a PR?
If you don’t meet the requirements, you can lose your status. That’s basically it.