+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

working 20 hours - at university - very confused please help me asap!

visacoming

Star Member
Sep 29, 2015
For this semester, I have been offered Teaching assistantship...which means I will be grading papers and instructing in Labs. And of course will get paid for it :)

However, the contract just says 120 hours/semester.

I spoke to the HR department and the faculty of graduate studies, however, they said there is no breakdown of it per week

As an international student allowed to work 20 hours a week, I wish to get a job OFF campus as well, apart from his teaching assistantship...

I am confused as to how many hours can I carry on duties with this?

On average Teaching assistantship comes to 7 hours a week...but I am very afraid about working off campus for the rest hours to cover 20 hours...

I am not sure how cic will see this per week...

What do you guys suggest I do?

I want to work off campus and make some money but I can't because I am afraid of this , and I think its sensible...

:/

Someone please help me with this..

Thank you,
visa coming

ahmed5

Sep 7, 2014
Canada
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24 - 12 - 2014
Nomination.....
PER 21 - 03 - 2015
AOR Received.
11 - 05 - 2015
IELTS Request
8 ( send with application )
Med's Request
06 - 08 - 2015
Med's Done....
11 - 08 -2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13 - 10 - 2015
VISA ISSUED...
18- 10 - 2015
LANDED..........
09 / 02 / 2016
visacoming said:
For this semester, I have been offered Teaching assistantship...which means I will be grading papers and instructing in Labs. And of course will get paid for it :)

I spoke to the HR department and the faculty of graduate studies, however, they said there is no breakdown of it per week

As an international student allowed to work 20 hours a week, I wish to get a job OFF campus as well, apart from his teaching assistantship...

On average Teaching assistantship comes to 7 hours a week...but I am very afraid about working off campus for the rest hours to cover 20 hours...

I want to work off campus and make some money but I can't because I am afraid of this , and I think its sensible...

Thank you,
visa coming
I think this teaching job on campus will pay you good amount.

You can work over weekends for 6 hrs , that will make 12 hrs . 7 hrs of teaching job . That will be 20 hrs / week

visacoming

Star Member
Sep 29, 2015
ahmed5 said:
I think this teaching job on campus will pay you good amount.

You can work over weekends for 6 hrs , that will make 12 hrs . 7 hrs of teaching job . That will be 20 hrs / week
yes its really great pay compared to odd jobs..

but I am worried about is, what if they report x number of hours for teaching for particular week...lets say 10-12...then if I work for 12 that will violate the rule for 20 hours...

However, the problem lies in the way Univ gave me the agreement, its 120 hours/semester.

No break down per month/week

Should I play safe and not work at all

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

visacoming said:
yes its really great pay compared to odd jobs..

but I am worried about is, what if they report x number of hours for teaching for particular week...lets say 10-12...then if I work for 12 that will violate the rule for 20 hours...

However, the problem lies in the way Univ gave me the agreement, its 120 hours/semester.

No break down per month/week

Should I play safe and not work at all
1. There are no restrictions for the OP as s/he will be working ON Campus.

visacoming

Star Member
Sep 29, 2015
PMM said:
Hi

1. There are no restrictions for the OP as s/he will be working ON Campus.
Hi,
can you please elaborate?

I didn't get what you meant, however I feel it might be the solution to my problem..

Please help,
thank you again

Papa Bomboy

Jan 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hello,

I got this directly from cic website " There are no legal restrictions preventing students from working on-campus in addition to working the maximum 20 hours per week off-campus".

Google " cic: study permits - offcampus to see it "

Most of the answers to the questions we ask on this forum can be gotten from a simple search on cic website.

Hope it helps all the best.

visacoming said:
Hi,
can you please elaborate?

I didn't get what you meant, however I feel it might be the solution to my problem..

Please help,
thank you again

luvanuj

Jul 14, 2011
Toronto
visacoming said:

Thank you,
visa coming
Hi,

You can work end number of hours on your campus job. As long as you are being employed by the university. There is no cap on hours. You can work outside 20hours for job. In my case

1) Lab Assistant - 12 hours ( On Campus)
2) Web developer = 20 hours ( On Campus)
3) Sales Assistant = 20 hours ( Off Campus )

As long as you are below 20 in your Off campus hour its all good.