+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Worked outside Canada for a while

Yayanick

Jan 6, 2018
Hello,
I'm sponsoring my wife who I met in Canada, she is from abroad.
I worked in Spain as a Language Instructor for 1 year.
I do have a job acceptance and all the details pertaining to my job assignment in Spain. The only catch is that it is in Spanish.

So I ask:

Would I even need to submit proof that I had that job?
If so, would I need to have it certified and translated into English?

Please help, thanks!

sibnadian

Feb 2, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Where are you employed now?
If you don't have Canadian Income Tax Notices of Assessment, you will need to submit an original letter from your employer. So yes, translate and submit both the original in Spanish and its translation.
You will also need to show that you plan to return to Canada when you wife is granted PR.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
provide the documents as required in the checklist for the Sponsor and Principal Applicant.

Get your checklist, forms and instructions

Translation of documents
You must send the following for any document that is not in English or French, unless otherwise stated on your document checklist:
  • the English or French translation; and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation (see below for details); and
  • a certified copy of the original document.

Yayanick

Jan 6, 2018
provide the documents as required in the checklist for the Sponsor and Principal Applicant.

Get your checklist, forms and instructions

Translation of documents
You must send the following for any document that is not in English or French, unless otherwise stated on your document checklist:
  • the English or French translation; and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation (see below for details); and
  • a certified copy of the original document.
The lists don't seem to say to include all job references/proof of having that job.
I'm just worried that this one (because I worked outside of the country) they will be particularly interested in

Yayanick

Jan 6, 2018
Where are you employed now?
If you don't have Canadian Income Tax Notices of Assessment, you will need to submit an original letter from your employer. So yes, translate and submit both the original in Spanish and its translation.
You will also need to show that you plan to return to Canada when you wife is granted PR.
I'm employed in Canada to a big company, not longer working in Spain as I noted in the original post.
I don't work in Spain anymore, I've collected my letter of employment from my current position but I think the government will be particularly interested in knowing more about my position outside of Canada.

I really just want to avoid spending the extra money to officially translate my work document from Spain when that was in 2015 and they don't note that you need to include any documents that proves you worked at any particular place. The only thing I see is that you need to have the current letter of employment, not any in the past.

Please someone help.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
submit the required supporting documents are stated in the checklist.....if IRCC needs any further document regarding your oversea job, they will notify you.....relax

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
I'm employed in Canada to a big company, not longer working in Spain as I noted in the original post.
I don't work in Spain anymore, I've collected my letter of employment from my current position but I think the government will be particularly interested in knowing more about my position outside of Canada.

I really just want to avoid spending the extra money to officially translate my work document from Spain when that was in 2015 and they don't note that you need to include any documents that proves you worked at any particular place. The only thing I see is that you need to have the current letter of employment, not any in the past.

Please someone help.
No need to overthink things.

they don't note that you need to include any documents that proves you worked at any particular place. The only thing I see is that you need to have the current letter of employment, not any in the past.
Exactly. Provide the current letter of employment and if they need any extra info past that, they will ask at a later time. There's also no reason why they would be "particularly interested" in your overseas job, especially since it was a language instructor position (if it was military or something, then yeah, maybe). It's not at all unusual for people to work abroad.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Please someone help.
Not sure why you would think that IRCC would be particularly interested in your previous position outside of Canada. They really won't care.

sibnadian

Feb 2, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It wasn't clear from your original post that you are not in Spain anymore.
Since you are currently working in Canada, the following is applicable to your situation (this is from the checklist):
"If you are working in Canada, provide an original letter from your current employer stating your period of employment, salary, and regular
hours per week AND one of these documents issued by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA):
• Your most recent Notice of Assessment. This must include line 150 (Total Income), or
• Proof of income statement (Option C)."

Your Spanish job from 2015 is not relevant.