+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Worked a technically illegal (?) unpaid internship… help!

lawrence2001

Feb 20, 2024
I went to university here in Ontario. During one of the summer breaks, I worked an unpaid internship to gain more experience and make my resume look better. It did help to some extent. Only recently I learned that unpaid internships are illegal in Ontario except for a few extremely limited narrow circumstances, which my situation does not fall into.

Now, in the context of a PR application, should I declare this internship in my “personal history” section or not? I’m afraid that omitting it would be misrepresentation but declaring it would clearly show I participated in illegal employment. I am the dependent in my mother's PR application, so my employment history is not central to our eligibility.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
I went to university here in Ontario. During one of the summer breaks, I worked an unpaid internship to gain more experience and make my resume look better. It did help to some extent. Only recently I learned that unpaid internships are illegal in Ontario except for a few extremely limited narrow circumstances, which my situation does not fall into.

Now, in the context of a PR application, should I declare this internship in my “personal history” section or not? I’m afraid that omitting it would be misrepresentation but declaring it would clearly show I participated in illegal employment. I am the dependent in my mother's PR application, so my employment history is not central to our eligibility.
You "volunteered" during summer break..;)

Reactions: Naturgrl

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014

If you declare this internship in your personal history section, is it obvious to IRCC that it is unpaid? I don't think so. I don't think they verify these things with CRA either.

Kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Did you study before it became legal to work as an international student?